Worlds Collide

I did something recently that I swore I would never do. I'm not sure why I was so insistent that I'd never do. Yes, I'm a girl. I am. Quite. I like being a girl. I'm just not girlie. Well, I guess I'm tomboy-girlie. Some like to call me "tweener" (ugh). Others like to call me "butch-lite" (double ugh). Personally, I'd prefer not to be categorized. Once you get lumped, people start making assumptions. I may have super short hair, wear baggy shorts and backward ball caps, and I may even smell like a guy (occasionally... more on this in a moment), but I am decisively female. You probably won't catch me wearing heels and a short skirt very often, but never say never. You could and you might, given the right occasion. Very simply, I am Stacee. No more, no less. Most say it's just plenty.

Anyway, I digress. I'd been out of perfume since some time this summer. I'm not sure why I procrastinated spending the money. I love it when people tell me I smell good. The key to that has always been my perfume. I've worn Candies for years. Since March 2002 to be exact. I remember. I bought it to reclaim power after a semi-nasty breakup. She liked it. I bought it after our break up and made sure she knew about it. Yeah, the scent of it on me still bothers her to this day (gotta love Karma that keeps on giving). Over the years, it became my signature scent (along with Moonlit Path lotion from Bath and Body Works... told you I'm a girl). I never considered getting anything different. And I never considered using men's cologne. I've gotten many incredulous looks from nay-sayers and critics over the years who thought that a woman who looked like me ought to smell like a guy. I never got it. I'm a girl. I really should smell like one, don't you think? I did. Until recently.

Keep in mind that I have long enjoyed men's scents. I use men's deodorant, body wash, and shampoo. I like the sporty scent. I don't know why, so don't ask. I just do. Somehow, though, I was resistant to cologne. I guess it just seemed over the top to me. And there was that whole I-want-to-smell-like-a-girl thing. A few weeks ago, I happened to mention that I needed perfume to the girl I was dating. Her response? The aforementioned incredulous look and a quizzical questioning, "Perfume?!?!" Apparently, she assumed that her butch-lite girlfriend should smell like a guy. After I explained my theory (detailed above) about smelling like a girl, I asked her what scent she liked. Fierce by Abercrombie and Fitch. Being a good girlfriend and always open-minded, I decided it might be time to broaden my horizons. I found a good deal on-line and placed an order. Oh, I also found a good deal on Candies and bought that, too.

So now I have two scents to choose from. It truly is a collision of two worlds. I like the Fierce. I enjoy the smell of it (and so did my girlfriend, I think). It suits my tomboyish moods. When I feel like being confusing and/or more girlie, I use the Candies. Being a woman means I can be whomever I want to be. I don't have to conform to any particular image. I can wear girl jeans or baggy shorts, a form fitting tank or a polo shirt. I can lead or I can follow. And I can also smell like a guy or like a girl. It's actually kind of fun making people think twice. I love being exactly who I am, a nice mix of tomboy and girlie, and most definitely Stacee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady