Lingering

The scent took me by surprise. I stood up straighter. My heart beat faster. I knew she was there somewhere, just not that close. Not yet. I was prepared to see her. I knew I would. It was inevitable. I was prepared, ready. I was strong. I could do this. I could see her and not give anything away. Cold shoulder. Yes, that was the correct route to take. Let her be. Leave her alone. Speak only when necessary. Then from behind, the scent washed over me. Unmistakeably her. I had no idea her scent, her perfume, would make me react as I did. I couldn't move. I was paralyzed. I should have turned to talk to her. I didn't. My face would give away too much. I spoke without looking up. The scent grew stronger; I think she must have moved closer. She had no idea what she was doing to me, what the scent of her was doing to me. I stepped to the side. Distance. I needed distance. I could not look at her for fear I would reach out to touch her. Finally she walked away and I was left with only the lingering scent. I leaned back against the counter behind me and closed my eyes for a moment. I wanted to breathe, but didn't dare. I had to let the scent fade. Had to. I couldn't breathe in any more of her. I shook my head. It was going to be a long day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady