Sweetpea

I just christened a new friend "Sweetpea". I used to use it interchangeably for almost anyone, including one of my young male associates who immediately blushed. I can still see the look on his face as he repeated, "Sweetpea?!?" with such innocence. Yeah, I guess twenty-something males from Atlanta, Texas aren't used to their lesbian assistant managers using affectionate nicknames. Little did he know I also called the dog Sweetpea. Somethings are just better left a mystery. I learned this first hand.

When I first started using "Sweetpea" I used it (wow... that didn't come out quite right) on my girlfriend. She was Sweetpea. So often that we bought each other Sweetpea scented lotion from Bath and Body Works for each other for Christmas. It was pure happenstance and really quite sweet. Then we got a dog. OK, I got the dog. She ended up liking the dog a lot, loving her even (please don't bring up Norah to either one of us... It's almost that time of year again). Then the dog died (see why it's better not to bring her up?). Then we got another dog. We got this dog. Not just me. She wasn't a replacement. Well, not really. Ava was Ava (and still is). One day I called Ava "Sweetpea". Girlfriend stopped in her tracks and said, "You called the dog 'Sweetpea'". It was a statement, not a question. Not "You called the dog, 'Sweetpea???" The look on her face was priceless. I laughed. Looking back, it probably wasn't the right reaction. Yes, I called the dog "Sweetpea". So what?

Yeah, we weren't destined to last. From then on I pretty much used "Sweetpea" for everyone. I've used it less since moving to Austin. I'm not sure why. Maybe I was waiting to find THE Sweetpea. And I guess I have. Tonight, without thinking, I christened a new friend, "Sweetpea". And Sweetpea she will be. Ava? Well, Ava will have to get used to another nickname. I'm sure she'll be cool with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady