A Singular Weekend

I'm going 'home' to Texarkana this weekend. And I couldn't be happier that I'm single. No, I'm not going to hook up anyone (well, maybe). I'm simply planning to spend the majority of my time with a bunch of spectacular women. They are beautiful, smart, fun, funny, and cool as Hell. If I had a girlfriend, she'd be jealous, so jealous I'd be miserable all weekend. That's why it's so much easier being single.

You see, just because I find a girlfriend (which is more than someone willing to date me, so truly we are speaking in hypotheticals here), I'm not going to suddenly give up my friends (which includes a large group of exes I know call 'friends'). We've been friends a long time. In fact, most have been with me a good bit longer than ALL of the girlfriends I've ever had combined. That's only about five years, but it's still a significant point. They have more than my back - they have me, all of me, and I will not trade them to assuage anyone's insecurities. If my girlfriend can't deal with who my friends are (meaning their beauty as much as their intelligence and fun personalities) and who they are to me, then she might want to duck out before she gets in too deep. There's one thing I know - My friends will be around to help me through our eventual break up, whether that's a month, a year, or a decade from now.

Just lie? I agree that there's nothing wrong with a little white fib. Nothing. Do these jeans make my butt look good? 'Yes, baby...' is almost always the correct answer. That said, I will not hide my friends or say I was with someone other than who I was with. I mean what if my girlfriend finds out I lied? Then she'll wonder why I hid it. What going on between you and so-and-so? Probably the same thing that's been going on between us for the last however many years - Absolutely nothing. But now I've got an insecure girlfriend going through my Facebook with a fine tooth comb and wondering why I lied. Any woman I like enough to make my girlfriend deserves better than that.

And so do I. First of all, I will not date, much less commit any portion of the rest of my life, to anyone who is insecure. Especially if that insecurity manifests itself as jealous, possessiveness, or any such negative incarnation. If I feel like I have to lie to preserve us (except about her butt on occasion), we don't belong together. If I feel like I have to walk on eggshells or give up any part of my pre-dating existence (it's understood that fuck buddies have to go) to placate her delicate ego, we don't belong together. Secondly, I am a light year from desperate so I don't have to settle for anything less than what I want. That may sound snobbish, but I prefer to think of it as confident and self-assured. It's probably why I am still single (and continue to rationalize that it's my preferred existence).

So, this weekend I'm going to surround myself with more than a few exceptional women (and maybe a couple exceptional guys). I won't have to lie or explain myself to anyone. I won't have to ask anyone not to post pictures or make public comments about seeing me. I can be me, who my friends have always let me be, and have a great weekend. Yes, being single does kind of rock. I think I'll stay this way a minute. At least through the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady