Expounding... (As I Often Do)

I fear that I may have crossed a line this morning. Just via Face Book message, so it's not like I touched someone in appropriately. However, my words tend to get me in at least as much, if not more, trouble than my hands, etc. One of these days I'm going to learn the art of the non-response. I'll just shut up and not feel the need to contribute my two cents. Because in truth, I rarely contribute only two cents. If I'm going to respond (which is nearly a given, like gravity and sunrise), I'm going to do it to the fullest extent possible. Expect pages and pages and pages. Sure, it'll be applicable; I know how to construct an argument. It just may be more than anyone ever wanted to know on the subject.

I truly believe that I have either missed my calling or haven't completely actualized it yet. I should be a preacher or at the very least an editorial columnist (both would be pretty cool). They get paid to expound. And moreover, it's expected of them. Stacee Ann Harris, Writer - Blogger- Thinker, just pisses people off when she expounds. Not that she's not good at it, because I fear she is. Too good, perhaps. Words never escape her. Ever.

So, this morning... I dug my 'Conversations with God Love vs. Fear' soapbox out of the attic and gave it a good dusting off. Then I climbed up on it and expounded. And expounded. And... I think you get the idea. Now my 'advice'/sermon wasn't solicited. I think all that he expected was an 'It's cool, Dude... No worries'. Instead he got the full brunt of my verbal diarrhea. With direct quotes (I did decide against page citations). In my defense, I can't let a dangler dangle, especially when I have something to say about it. And truthfully, 'love versus fear' is one of my all-time favorite topics. I simply couldn't resist. I had something to say and, dammit, I said it.

All that is left is the reception. Lord Jesus, there's never any telling. Sometimes I think I've made a good decision then I get lambasted. Other times I think I've made a poor decision then I get showered with kudos. Of course, other times I get no response at all. It's these moments that I know I have totally fucked up. Either I scared them so bad with all my words or they didn't quite get it. Maybe both. In any case, I underestimated by audience, which is is apparently one of my classic flaws. They are left dumbfounded and I'm left with the last word. Neither is any good. As much as it may seem like I want the last word, I love a good debate. Come back with something, anything. Silence is rarely a positive in my world.

I guess only time will tell how my latest will be received. Eh, I can't un-ring the bell. Gotta go with what I got at this point. I stand by everything I said. I just hope my audience takes my words in the spirit with which they were intended. Doesn't happen very often. People either miss my sincerity or my smart ass and I end up in trouble. Even this blog could be seen as crossing the line. Again. I just couldn't leave well enough alone. But then again, when have I ever?

Comments

  1. Stacie..
    Never leave well enough alone. Your contemplation opens you up to what you believe deep down in your soul. The funny thing is.. you're a Christian and you don't even know it yet. I know you might find this preposterous and it may spark a debate... ahhh.. fun! But really... I won't be surprised if I find you arguing Love vs. Fear in some pulpit one day... while I'm sitting in the front row and you deliver the Word to me. Then we'll go out to lunch and we'll laugh at some of the crazy assholes that want us to shut up. HAHA.
    On a much more serious note - writing always comes with debate and no response. Don't change according the external circumstance of that. Please.
    You must keep writing without expectation of the response... and when you get the response... expect the unexpected.. and possibly the worst because then you know that you have made someone think.
    My least favorite response is no response. It feels bad. I'd rather someone argue... but many hide in their little holes of no answer because it is the safest position for them. Either that or they are too ignorant of any position. Hmm.
    Anyway.. I love the way that you write. Preach on sister.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady