The Aforementioned Three Weeks

A friend of mine is getting married at the end of the month. I'm planning to attend her reception the middle of next month. She's having one of those private Hawaii weddings that require a delayed reception. I'm invited to the reception, but not the wedding. And as much as I'm not a fan of weddings, in this case I'd rather suffer through the wedding. I mean it's in Hawaii and can't possibly take that long. Plus it might be easier to get a date to a wedding in Hawaii than to a reception in Texarkana. You see, when it comes to dates, my world requires 'easier'. Dates don't grow on trees. Well, maybe they do, but they're on the really high branches that I can't reach. Given my fear of heights and all. So, back to my original point (I think)... I have roughly three weeks to come up with a date for this reception. I fear I could have three times as long and still come up empty.

I'm honestly tired of showing up 'stag' at these things, so tired that I usually end up making some dumb ass excuse and skipping it all together. That's not going to work in this case. The friend getting married is my Best Soul Friend and I can't ditch out on her Big Day (OK, her Big Day #2... Remember I wasn't invited to the wedding). So, I have to go. I want to go. I do. Just not alone, like I always do. However, at the risk of sounding pathetic (too late, right?), I'm not sure where I'm going to find someone willing to go with me.

OK, right now about a hundred friends are saying, 'Don't be silly, I'll go with you'. Not that I'm not thankful, but I'm not. Thanks for the pity date, but I'm over it. I'm tired of going with friends as friends just so I can have someone to go with and because their husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, partner, spouse, or fuck buddy is busy or doesn't want to go. Nope. No more. I'm done with all that. This time, I want a date with a real live someone who actually maybe has a more than platonic interest in me.

Of course I only have the aforementioned three weeks. That's a heady goal if I've ever set one. I may have to settle. Don't worry - it's the story of my life. I'm not going to be mad at it. Right now. Maybe later. So, I'm wondering would it be too, too pathetic to put out a mass invite via a Face Book status...? Or should I venture to Craig's List... (or is that too 2009)? Before some wise ass suggests eHarmony (hello... they don't do GLBT) or Match.com (just ugh... seriously ugh) or any other dating site, all I want is one date to a reception. That's it. That's all. No commitment. No ring. No U-Haul rental. I want to attend a wedding reception with a live person (who I'm not paying to go with me) so that I can have companionship and someone to talk to. Oh, and not look lamentable (or plaintive or woeful or pitiful). Other people get to do it all the time. Just not me.

God's will is a tough will. Not everyone can handle being alone like I can. If you've never been to a wedding or a reception alone, then God just doesn't think you're tough enough. I hate it for you, but y'all can just suck it. Because God loves me. Yeah, so it's tough love. Leave me alone and let me believe this one little thing, will you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady