Eight Seconds

'Give me eight seconds. I'll let you keep forever.'

~  Stacee Harris

I think the answer to everything is another Rodeo. I said I wouldn't do it again. Ever. I was done, finished, over it. I was going to grow up finally and move on to something real. Yeah, well... I'm done, finished, over that. Real is heartbreaking, ego bursting, and sanity testing. I much prefer a Rodeo. It's a whole lot easier and a lot less decimating.

For years, my friends gave me crap about my Rodeos. They said I would never find anything real and lasting if I continued to pursue unavailable women. It was time that I settled down and found someone I could be with for the long haul. I took that under advisement and finally decided that my Rodeo days were done. I was going to find a nice, available girl and fall in love. Eh, not so much. I'm here to tell you that just because they say that they are available, they usually aren't. Of course, you never find this out soon enough. They tell you all kinds of cool things - they like you, want you, need you, you're everything, Stacee, I can't live without you, blah, blah, blah. It's a safe bet they'll even say 'I love you', which will lead you to believe it's cool to say it back. At this point, it's wise to get out the egg timer. On your mark, get set..... DONE!

How, may I ask, is this better than a Rodeo? Let me tell you about a Rodeo. She's unavailable. You're unavailable. She wants what she wants, which is usually love, affection, and attention. You want what you want, which is usually to love, affect, and attend to someone and have them do the same to you. There is no supposition of love or promises of forever. What you see is what you get. Feelings develop, but they are honest feelings. They are for now and are not intended to last beyond their intended purpose. Because of this, when it ends it ends quietly, peacefully, and without heartbreak or insanity. It is over and it was beautiful. It was a Rodeo - eight seconds of perfection.

I fear that I'm in love with being single. In fact, recently I have found that Match.com and eHarmony commercials make me a little queasy. I can't imagine being in a relationship I thought would last 'forever' (I use that term loosely). It would mean giving up too much. And of course, there's the risk of heartbreak (however awesome The Break Up Diet might be). So, I'm good with the status quo. Except, it might be cool to have someone to distract me on those darker days and to know that someone somewhere is thinking of me. It might also be cool to have someone with whom to have sex and share a certain affection. But only on occasion when it works for me. Like the nights I'm not so exhausted I want to crawl in a hole and never speak to anyone ever again. Or the nights I don't want to be alone to write and drink (like tonight). Or the days I don't want to just walk at the lake and eat Chicken Express for lunch by myself. See? It's a delicate balance. And one perfectly suited to the Rodeo.

There's a reason I keep coming back to this. I have been single for the majority of my adult life. I must like it or I'd have found a way to put an end to it. The Rodeo is perfect. I get the best of both worlds. I'm single, but with some of the benefits of relationship and none of the detractions. For the record, I have never had a Rodeo with a lesbian. They always have the potential to be available. Just like the unavailable ones who say that they are available, it'd be just my luck to bump into one who said she was unavailable but turned out to be available. I can't risk it. Give me a straight woman, married or single, and I'm happy. They get to play in 'my world' for a minute and I get to play with them. For eight seconds. No more, no less. They move on and I move on. We are both left with good memories and no baggage. And that's why I say 'give me eight seconds. I'll let you keep forever.' It's the Rodeo. And while it may not be for everyone, it's definitely for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady