Moving On... Again

'What they don't know,
What they can't see,
Is being on that road that makes me free.'

~ from 'Some Say I'm Running' by Martina McBride

Some will say that I'm running. Others will say I didn't give it a chance. Still others will say that I'm never going to find what I'm looking for. Of course I will argue the opposite. And, given that I know me better than anyone else involved in the situation, I'll win. I'm ready to move on. Yes, already. In truth, I was the day I moved here last August. Like Muskegon, Michigan, Texarkana, Texas, something was missing. I could feel it the moment I got here. Not that there's anything wrong with Austin, per se. It's a great and diverse city and most people absolutely love living here. Just not me.

I stayed in Muskegon and Texarkana far longer than I should have, nine years and six years respectively. I've learned my lesson on that deal and therefore I won't be Austin very long. I'm not going to try and try all in the hopes that one day I will find what I'm missing. I'm too smart for that. What is missing is missing and it cannot and will not be found. I will be here one more year and that is all. If not for financial circumstances (including but not limited to a house in Texarkana that will not sell), I would be gone far sooner. On next July 1st, I will be debt free (with or without the sale of my house) and able to afford a move almost anywhere in the country.

Anyone who doubts my ability to pull off a cross country move would be wise to remember that it only took six weeks for me to successfully move to Austin last summer. In other words, I don't mess around. And this time I have a full year to plan. I know a thing or two about relocating. So where am I going this time? Gulf Shores, Alabama is high on my list, but the Outer Banks in North Carolina have been pulling at me spiritually for years. I want to say in the South and I need to be near the water. I think it's something to do with my Fire Sign. I am better when I am close to the water and the changing of the tides.

Just because I'm hell-bent to leave Austin so fast doesn't mean my move here was for nothing. I learned a lot about myself here, including what it's like to be leave everything you know behind. I know my next move won't be any easier. If anything it will be harder because I'll be going farther from everyone I know. I'll no longer be a half-days drive from "home". I'll be out on my own and alone. I am better educated than I was just one short year ago. I've endured desolation and loneliness. I've come to terms with being alone. I'm beyond used to it and I assure you, there are worse things.

So yes, with any luck, one year from now I'll be on the move again. Maybe once I get there, I'll find what I'm looking for. Or maybe I won't. Maybe I am destined to move and move and move in search of the unattainable. If that's the case, I'll worry another day. While sitting on the beach. Either way, I consider it an upgrade from where I am right now. Essentially, I can either be alone and missing that elusive something in Austin or on the beach in Alabama or North Carolina. That makes it a bit of a no-brainer, doesn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady