The Gray Area

I'm not good with murky. I know this about myself. It's not that I need the world to be black or white; I'm cool with gray. As long as sooner or later (preferably sooner) that gray area gets defined. With definition comes less murky-ness which is always better than the alternative. I guess you could say that I'm not good with mystery. I like to know. Hell, I need to know. I'm a thinker and an analyzer (except when I'm tired... See my blog/note entitled 'But Not Too Much' for details) and I'm good at it. If things don't add up or seem odd or illogical, it creates murk. And as we've said, murk is bad, very bad.

Look, I was never a big fan of math (though I enjoy basic algebra more than most people), but I have to say that it comes in handy. 1 + 1 always equals 2. Always. It's a fact that is impossible to change no matter what  level of math you ascend to. Human behavior is much the same. It is logical and predictable. And 1 + 1 always equals 2. It's black and white, perfect even. A gray area arises when someone tries to convince you that 1 + 1 = 3 (or 5 or 27 or 322). Some things simply don't add up and when things don't add up, it creates murk. And as we've said murk is bad, very bad.

I live an orderly logical life. With me 1 + 1 always equals 2. It may seem boring to some observers, but it's the way the Universe works best. Chaos (sometimes referred to  as 'murk' or 'gray area') is allowed, but it is to be quickly organized, managed, and dealt with. Thought and analysis are absolutely key and will always lead to a sound, rational conclusion that is, above all, believable. Believability is what leads us out of the fire and back into the frying pan. It is the light and the truth and the way.

Murk is the opposite of believability. Murk is brought on by things that just don't add up. I admit that every now and again strange things happen that defy logical explanation. Absolutely. I can write off one, maybe two, such instances, but four, seven, twelve? Life is seldom that illogical. And if it is, it tends to provide it's own special brand of logic. This logic is generally referred to in the literature as 'lies' and/or 'deceit'. If something doesn't add up again and again and again, it's never going to. You can spend days and days thinking and analyzing. You can try to navigate the murk and define the gray area. Or you can quickly come to the very level headed conclusion that it's all just bullshit. Bullshit isn't murky. Bullshit is perfectly logical.

So, when I find that things aren't adding up, I tend to stop worrying and thinking and analyzing. I refuse to live in the chaos of the gray area. If it smells like bullshit and adds up to 3 or 5 or 125 instead of 2, I can, with every possible certainty, call it bullshit. The best practice? Declare it so and move on. Out of the murk and into a logical, orderly, believable reality. Murk, as we've stated, is bad, very bad. It's best to get away quickly.


Please thank the folks at Behr Paint for inspiring the title of this one. They have a wonderful gray hue called... Wait for it.... 'Grey Area'. Of all the really cool names, it's my favorite by far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady