The Question and The Answer

At barely 5:45am it became my social networking status. I'll admit I stole the idea from an old Andy Gibb lyric. I heard the song on the way to work after stopping to get coffee at the Exxon and after the clerk told me an interesting story about his morning. It all seems very random unless you believe whole heartedly in the wonders of serendipity. You see, his story reminded me of a moment in time (or maybe two or three) when I was certain that I knew everything and absolutely nothing. All because of her. She was the cause and the effect, the hope and the despair, the salvation and the damnation. The question and the answer. And people say the music of the 70's was unlyrical crap. This morning Andy summed up everything that the kid at the Exxon was feeling and everything I was remembering. He used 'you'; I chose 'she'. Andy was singing to; I was intent upon de-personalizing (just in case one of the she's I was thinking about happened to see). I prefer mystery to intent, even thought it's nothing more than chicken-shit and self-preservation all wrapped into one.

'She is the question and the answer.'

It is rare. So rare that I have only ever experienced the feeling once (or maybe three times) in forty-one years. I remember each time as if it was yesterday or last night. It's not 'love at first sight'; it's more like connection at first sight. A sort of 'don't I know you...I can't possibly know you' thing. It's a  recognition that comes from the soul rather than the brain. While the brain questions, the soul knows. It's an ah-ha moment that comes with an overwhelming peace. It is the certainty that she will be someone coupled with the knowledge that she IS someone.

Who and when and why and how are just some of the questions. And the answers? Each one begins and ends with her. She is one of The Ones, but to what end? What purpose? She will be someone. She is someone. From that instant forward. Even if everything else about her remains a question.

So yes, 'she is the question and the answer'. All at once in one serendipitous moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady