Making It My Own

I moved into my room just over two months ago. Today I made it my own. When I first got here, I wasn't so sure how long I'd stay. Now, with the sale of my house in Texarkana going nowhere and the pleasant atmosphere in the house, I'm thinking I'll probably be here awhile. I don't want to stay forever, as nice as it is. I still want to get back into my own place in the near future. I just have to wait for my house to sell so I can afford it. However, right now, this is what I have and it'll more than do for the moment.

I miss my things - my bed, my desk, my big chair, my dogs. It's not awful living with "borrowed" things. I'm very thankful for the bed and the dresser and the closet and the desk that I get to use for the duration of my stay here. It's funny but I never thought about changing the room around. I was borrowing things. Far be in from me to say where they sat in the room. I was content to live as is. Until my roommate told me I could change the room around anyway I wanted to. I was going to be staying awhile so I might as well make it my own. I thought and pondered for a few days. I'm not good at spacial relationships which means I generally suck at furniture placement. Thankfully, my roommate gave me a couple ideas (push the bed against the wall to give more space) and my girlfriend seconded the idea. That was all I needed.

I emptied out the closet and one of the dressers as instructed and pushed the bed against the wall. This meant moving a dresser and another table out of the way. I easily found a place for them elsewhere in the room. I took a mirror off another dresser and made room for my TV near the cable outlet. Now, not only do I have a lot more floor space and the illusion of a bigger room, but I can watch TV in my very own room (I'm still trying to figure out why the picture is a bit grainy).

I'm happier today in my room than I've been since I moved in. I made it mine and I like that. I set up a few books and there's more room in the closet for my things. I'm going to have to go home to Texarkana one of these weeks very soon to pick up some warmer clothes. I expected to be in my own place by now so left most of my things there. Pretty soon I'll have even more things here and Austin will feel even more like home. I still don't call it home and I'm not sure when I will. It took me a long time to make Texarkana home, though I think the process might be quicker here. Not sure yet, though. I guess time will tell.

For now, I'm happy right where I am. In my newly re-designed bedroom getting ready to watch some grainy TV. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom would let me change around my room. It always felt like I had a brand new room. It was a nice illusion that when coupled with clean sheets rejuvenated me every time. Today is no different. I have a brand new room (and clean sheets) and I'm happily in for the evening. Truly there is nothing like being right where you want to be. And that's exactly where I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

And I Persist