The Pink Toothbrush

I agree it seems frightfully over-the-top lesbian. If it were true, I mean. OK, it's true. Just not how you think it's true. My girlfriend had a toothbrush at my house in the toothbrush holder before she was my girlfriend. Now, now... Before you go thinking all kinds of strange thoughts, let me explain.

No, I did not buy a toothbrush and put it in my bathroom in the hopes one day I would find a girlfriend who would one day use it. I'm not that crazy. Or that hopeful. OK, and what if a prospective girlfriend found the toothbrush in the bathroom? It could give the appearance that I already have a girlfriend. God knows, I need all the help I can get. I don't want to scare away some girl because she thinks I'm a typically morally challenged lesbian or because she thinks I'm nuts for having a toothbrush waiting at the ready.

I'm telling you that toothbrush was there the day I moved in. I went to put my purple brush in the holder and there it was. Pink, but otherwise identical to mine. I had the random thought that maybe it was for me. One of my roommates works at Walgreens. Maybe she stocked up on toothbrushes and left a new one for me. I didn't realistically think it was, so I didn't ask and I didn't use it. I just left it right where it was. However, nearly every time I brushed my teeth, I'd wonder who that damn thing belonged to. Assuredly not the seventeen year old boy who lived with us and with whom I shared the bathroom. He kept his toothbrush in the shower. And I couldn't really see him having a pink toothbrush anyway. Who else? My roommates used their cavernous bathroom downstairs. No one hardly ever came to stay (well, except that one girl that time or two... more on that in a minute) and no one ever seemed to use the toothbrush. It was weird to me, but I didn't say anything to anybody. I just let it be.

Fast forward ahead awhile. One night my girlfriend went in my bathroom and came out with freshly brushed teeth. Huh? How did that happen? I was confused. She must have seen the look on my face because she quickly explained, "It's sure nice to already have a toothbrush here. I have one downstairs, too". Ah... It all became clear to me. I'm dating my roommate's best friend who has stayed at the house often over the years. It would stand to reason that she might keep a few things here. Thus, the pink toothbrush in my bathroom. All those weeks and I had no idea.

So, that's how my girlfriend came to have a toothbrush in my bathroom before she was my girlfriend. When I talk about how lucky I am to have found her, she's fond of saying she was right here all along. Right here where she's always been, I think is how she says it. True. True. The clues were there, I just never saw them. Well, except for the pink toothbrush. And what are the chances of that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady