Salvation

Tonight I got called 'a piece of shit' by a blog reader who took offense, apparently, to something I wrote. As one of my long time readers and friends astutely reminded me, this isn't the first time someone has gotten angry about something I wrote. She went on to say it's not always easy being in the blog - she remembers being a 'dumb girl' once upon time - but anger usually stems from the truth. She said I probably hit pretty close to the mark to get that kind of reaction.

I have to say such negative reactions require me to question my writing. I can't not. Was I out of line? I don't think so but clearly someone did. Should I stop? Should I give up the blog? Stop speaking my truth? Stop writing?

I came home, had a couple drinks, and wrote the blog that had been in my head all night - The 99%. It was pretty positive so I wasn't worried about it offending anyone. I posted it both places I post my blog - Blogger and Facebook.

Then something miraculous happened. A Facebook acquaintance asked if she could 'Share' my 'Note' (that's what blogs are called on FB). I immediately replied that she could. She said that what I wrote said what had been in her heart and that my words meant a lot to her.

I was reminded tonight why I write. Two friends, two points.

1) It is my salvation. If I'm writing, I'm surviving. It's my healthy outlet. It's how I deal, how I process. Take that away and there's no telling what I'll do (Thank you, Yoda).

2) It speaks. People read my words and it helps them survive, deal, process (Thank you, Friend. You know who you are).

Put simply, my words are salvation. Salvation to me and others. No epithet will quiet me. Ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

And I Persist