Decisions, Decisions

I'm not sure if hard decisions come from character or build character. I know that yesterday I made a big one, probably one of the toughest decisions I've ever made. I don't know what will come of that decision if anything at all. What I do know is that it had to be made and I believe that I fell on the side of good character. Everyone may not see it that way. And that's ok. I know what I know. I'm holding my head a little higher today.

We make thousands of decisions everyday. Get out of bed? Hit snooze? Call in sick? Wear the blue shirt? Stop at Starbucks? Work hard? Slack off? Vending machine lunch? Stop for gas on the way home? Pick up Chinese? Drink another glass of wine? Take a bubble bath? Watch a movie? Go to bed early? We make most of our decisions automatically. Work, for most of us on most days, is automatic. So is getting out of bed and getting dressed. Some think more about what they eat, some less. Some know that they are going to finish the bottle of wine, some contemplate a second glass. We watch what we always watch on Tuesday nights. We got to bed when we always go to bed. Make no mistake - all of these are decision.

Believe it or not, our daily decisions impact character. Going to work. Drinking to excess. I think these things define one's character to an extent. But there are other decisions we make on a daily basis that are even more impactful. And crazy as it may sound, often of these decisions are the smallest ones we make.

Do you hold the door open for the guy behind you? Do you let the car trying to get into your lane in? Do you smile at the cashier at McDonald's? Do post something positive on your social networks? Do you tell the ones you love that you love them? Do you tell the truth? Do you show up on time? Do you put good energy out into the world.

Or...

Do you cut people off? Do you frown? Do you post vitriol? Do you take people for granted? Do you lie? Do you show up late? Do you bleed negativity?

Character is defined by how we interact in the world. I believe that "good character" means that an individual is helpful, agreeable, honest, dependable, and, above all, positive. The light that a person of good character shines enhances them and everyone around them. This is a person you want as a friend or a co-worker.

More than anything a person of good character does the right thing, even in the face of adversity, danger, detriment, and heartbreak.

I believe that I have strong character. I stand for what is right. Others may disagree, but that is simply because our definition of "what is right" differs. There is an empirical truth, however, Good character is good character. And it will always rise above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

And I Persist