Ten and Eleven

I think I've finally decided on tattoos ten and eleven. I knew the right idea would come to me if I just sat back and let it. And funny, it came in a burst of two. Since I can't decide which one I want to get, I'm going to get both all in one shot. It won't be the first time I've gotten two tattoos in one day. Numbers 5 and 6 were a two-for-one back in 2006. I'm not scared. Pain is pain and the permanence of the message is well worth it.
I've been planning #10 since I got #9 in February 2009. I've gone a long time, far longer than I ever expected. I got three in '06 (4, 5, and 6) and one in '07 (7), '08 (8), and '09 (9). It's not that I haven't wanted one; I just wasn't sure what I wanted. I don't put any old thing on my body, especially when I can't etch-a-sketch it off when it gets old.

Like all the rest, these will have a story. Or tell a story. I no longer wear my heart on my sleeve; I wear my story on my body in ink. So, what's my story? One woman's journey from independence to interdependence and faith. I can't say it was all planned, not by me anyway. Over the years, the power behind the meaning of my tattoos has grown. They combine into something I never thought possible, something they never could be if they stood alone. They are me and to subtract one would be like taking a part of myself away.

Thoughts become things? Yes, maybe. I guess there's an important question I should ask? Do my tattoos tell my story or do I live theirs? Hmm... I'm going to argue that it's a little of both. I get them when the time is right, then once permanently a part of me they become even more meaningful. They help me live the life I want to live and move ever closer to my truest self.

My Tattoos:

1) Black Panther - At the time, I loved what it said about me as a runner - fast, enduring, and alone. I didn't know the deeper symbolism until much later. To Native Americans, the black panther means 'embrace the unknown'. My road to spirituality began with a leap of faith and a belief in The Universe. God first spoke to me through what I saw as The Universe. I had to 'embrace the unknown' to get to where I am today. 1994.

2) Strength (Kanji) - The first of many Kanji. At the time, strength was what I wanted most. I think I was speaking more about physical strength than anything, but it's grown to mean so much more. 1999.

3) Heaven/Destiny (Kanji) - I liked that in Eastern thought these two were equals, something I necessarily didn't see in the Western world. Now my understanding of God says that these ARE equals right here on Earth. Today, with no lines and no waiting. 2001.

4) Journey (Kanji) - Good story with this one. I got it at home from a friend who was learning the art. At the time, my life was pretty much a mess and I drank before, during, and after the tattooing. What I found out later was that the alcohol thinned my blood to such an extent that the stencil kept washing off. Hunter had to free-hand the two symbols. When you look at my back, they are different sizes. This isn't because of Hunter; it's because they were different sizes on the stencil I gave him (sadly, Hunter, who had some real talent, left the art to pursue a doctoral degree in Criminal Justice at Texas State University). In any case... If any of my tattoos speak volumes about me, this is the one. My journey continues. 2006.

5) The Celtic Rainbow - This is the only tattoo that people say 'brands' me. It's also the only one that is in color. A good friend and I got it to mark our friendship. We aren't close anymore (perhaps too much water under the bridge), but I will always remember this part of my journey and the strength I discovered within myself. 2006

6) Love (Kanji) - The 'Little Love Guy'. If you look closely at this symbol it looks like a little man (check out the back of my neck the next time you see me). I got this one because I loved the symbol and what it meant. I also got it to 'help' a friend deal with a nasty breakup. Now it's one of my favorites. Because it's the farthest 'North' of any of my tattoos, I like to say it means 'love above all'. 2006

7)  'Transformation' (Kanji) - Her love and friendship changed me and how I saw my place in the world. Because of her, I defined myself and discovered my mission. I owe so much to God for this 'blind curve'. P.S. Don't ask who she is. She knows and I know. That's all that will ever matter. 2007

8) Home (Kanji) -  It's what I sought for so long. Home. I thought I found it in 'someone', but as my journey continued I learned that it was and will always be found within me. And within God. 2008

9) Faith and Believe (Kanji) - These two sit permanently on my Achilles. Get the symbolism? Once upon a time, faith and belief were my 'Achilles'. I was impatient with my journey, God, and myself. I wanted desperately to believe, to have faith, but at every turn I questioned. And then one day I didn't. 2009

Which leads me to #10...

2011

11) 'All things through faith' (Script) - Assuredly, it's the bastardization of a nice piece Scripture, but when have I not bastardized Scripture? It's the message God sends me each time we set out on a difficult run or hit a bumpy stretch. Yes, all things are possible through faith. This one will go on my right calf. I'm hoping it will not only inspire me, but a few runners running behind me. 2011

Years ago, long before I ever thought about being Christian, I said I wanted to get a cross tattoo ('Jesus and Tattoo #8' from an eon ago). I still haven't gotten it, but I'm pretty sure one day I will. I also want the Kanji for Grace and 'Amazing Grace' written in English, Arabic, and Hebrew. The time will come for all that. For now, though, I'm going to go with numbers 10 and 11. Sorry, Mom. If only my Blog was all I needed for self-expression...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady