The Love of My Life

I met her eight years ago in February 2006. The minute I saw her I knew she would be mine. I don't remember even taking her for a test drive. It didn't matter. I'd driven a friend's a few years before and I knew what I knew - The Nissan Xterra was my dream car and I was determined to have one. A friend told me I could get a good deal on the last remaining '05 at the Nissan dealership in Bossier City, Louisiana so to Bossier I went. I wasn't excited that she was burgundy; I would have preferred dark gray or olive green. Regardless, it was love at first sight. I still remember driving her home to Texarkana. It was then that I realized she didn't have cruise control. I didn't know cars were made without it. She didn't have any of the other bells and whistles either, but none of that mattered. She was mine.

I thought about trading her in in '07 or '08. I still owed a bunch and would have gone upside down on whatever I replaced her with. Still I stood to gain $100 or more per month in payments. I'd just gotten downsized at work and needed to save where I could. I took a Pontiac of some kind home for the night. I remember it like yesterday. I stopped for a burger and fries on the way home and sat looking out the window at that gray Pontiac. I almost cried thinking of the Xterra sitting all alone on that car lot wondering where I'd gone and if I was coming back. Before work the next morning, I gave the Pontiac back. As I climbed into the Xterra I apologized and said I would never do that again. I'd drive her until she died.

Today, I went back on that promise and sold her to a friend. In many ways I'm lost. Oh, I have a new car, a 2012 Ford Fiesta, and I really like it. It's just not the same. Me and the Xterra drove over 135,000 miles together. All with my foot on the gas pedal. We took a bunch of great road trips together and she got to see me kiss more than a couple women. In fact, she was there for my best kiss ever. She was as much a part of me as any family member or girlfriend.

And funny, she's the longest relationship I've ever had. If I said I didn't miss her, I'd be lying. That Xterra was one of the great loves of my life. Maybe the Fiesta will be my next. It's really too soon to tell. At least the Xterra is in good hands. I couldn't bear to give her up to just anyone, so when a friend said she needed a car it seemed perfect. I wanted a new one with better gas mileage and she needed one. It was perfect. Plus, she'll take good car of her. Well, they both will.

As my friend was pulling away today, I almost picked it up to a jog and ran behind just to give the Xterra one last hug. Think about this - I've driven her longer than I've written this blog. I started the blog in October 2006. I started driving the Xterra in February 2006. So everything I've gone through and everything I've written about, she was right there along side me. My one constant. My one great love.

I will miss her. I already do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady