The Laundomat/Laundry Mat

Is it a "laundromat" or a "laundry mat"? I'm not sure. Maybe it's regional. So many things are. I don't suppose it really matters. Not to me anyway. I have a washer and dryer. A real nice set, actually. I bought them when I was out of debt. Paid cash. Wild, huh? Needless to say I'm not out of debt currently. But I digress. What was my point? Oh yeah, the laundromat/laundry mat. Even though I've never had to use one personally, I still have some great memories. Seriously, re-think what you've always thought. They aren't just for laundry. Two of the best dates of my life took place at a laundromat/laundry mat.

Ok, what do you do when the woman you are seeing says she needs to do laundry so she can't get together? Call her bluff, if it is a bluff, and offer to go with her. I mean think about it. Laundry is better than a movie. Once you get the stuff in the machines all you have is time. Time to talk. Time to enjoy each other. Drinks are optional.

Date #1 - We met at her place and loaded her many, many baskets of laundry into her hatchback. She poured a big glass of wine and I made a rum and diet. Off we went. Once we got all her dirty clothes in the washer, we kicked open the hatch on her hatchback and drank and talked. Sure, we could have been in her living room or a bar, but it didn't matter to either of us. We got to breathe the night air and hangout. I helped her change her laundry and we did more of the same. We were in the early days of what I hoped would become something more. In the long run, we didn't work out, but I think we both have fond memories of that laundromat/laundry mat. Even though, it's now a Chinese restaurant.

Date #2 - I lived South. She lived North. Connecting involved traffic and various other logistics. One night she was free, but had to do laundry. It was in the middle of rush hour but I braved MOPAC and Lamar and fought my way to her local laundromat/laundry mat. She was in the middle of a massive amount of laundry. We went down the road, had a drink, came back. She folded. I tried to help. She wouldn't let me. We went back to her place. She put the clothes away. Not sure what we did after that. Oh, as far as I know, that laundromat/laundry mat is still there. And I eventually gave her my old washer and dryer when I got my new one. No more laundromat/laundry mat.

Maybe some day I'll be lucky enough to have Date #3. Never know. I, for one, am not a skeptic about the laundromat/laundry mat date. Good things happen. Good things, my friends. And really, what is a date anyway? An excuse to spend time together? That doesn't have to cost money. A date can be anything. Drinks in an empty parking lot, at a laundromat/laundry mat, or at a fancy restaurant. There's something to be said for the smaller places. Be creative. You never know where the magic might happen. No matter what you call it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady