Ten Always

A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog/note called "Ten Nevers". It was uncharacteristically negative and I almost immediately began writing its inverse. And then something happened. I stopped. I came up with two "Always" and gave up. Maybe I was tired or not in the mood. I found the draft tonight and decided I needed to put in a little more work. We'll see how it goes.

1. Always choose to fear less. I don't mean that you must be fearless. That's just stupid. Run into a snake bigger than you are? Being fearless is not the best choice. Fearing less allows you to step outside you comfort zone. Accept the dare. Take whatever fear you have and reduce it. You don't even need to be brave or courageous. You just have to fear a little less than usual.

2. Always listen to Michael Bolton when driving home drunk. There are those who believe you can't get a DUI when you do. Others say Celine Dion. And still others say Christmas music. Best way to avoid a DUI? Always drive home sober.

3. Always give away what you don't need. The pittance that you earn from the sale won't keep you warm at night, but the rosy glow you'll get from doing a good deed might.

4. Always have your Texas state inspection sticker up to date. If not, you stand to lose upwards of $170 if you get caught.

5. Always look for the best in people. Most are actually doing the best they can. Appreciate that.

6. Always hold the door open for the person behind you. Five seconds won't make a noticeable difference in your life. And if it does, you need to improve your time management skills.

7. Always tell the truth, especially when you know it's going to hurt. The truth may hurt, but a lie will always hurt even worse.

8. Always wave when someone gives way in traffic and lets you in. A turn signal is not a proper "thank you".

9. Always mean what you say and say what you mean. In other words, walk your talk and talk your walk.

10. Always love with all your heart. Say 'I love you' often. Show 'I love you' more often. Be 'I love you' every moment of every day.

Whew. Done. I managed to be positive for fifteen minutes straight. It's been an unexpectedly good night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady