The Gear Head in Me

I think I'm becoming a 'gear-head'. I used to show up to run, play tennis, or participate in my sport of choice with the barest minimum of required equipment. In college, it was part of my tennis 'mystique'. While all my fellow tennis players had bags full of crap, I arrived on the court with two rackets - no bag, no jug of water, no change of clothes, no extra socks, no banana, no snack, no make-up, no Neosporin, no pain killer, no hair-ties. It was just me and my rackets. Truthfully, I didn't need anything more than that (I frequently broke strings so I often required the back-up racket). I showed up to softball games with my cleats already on and my glove in hand - again no bag, bats, extra glove, batting glove, water bottle, or cooler of beer. Running met perfectly with my minimalist bent. All I needed was a sports bra, running shoes, and a stopwatch. At the starting line, you don't want much more than that anyway.

Now as a fledgling triathlete, I'm discovering all kinds of cool things that, while maybe not required, might be super awesome to have. First of all, the girl who has always hated bags has her eye on this really nifty 'transition' bag designed like a backpack that has three separate compartments for the three separate events. It's meant to make transitioning from one to the other that much easier. And I assume it'd make me look a lot more professional all at the same time. The cost of this little treasure? $179.00 (TYR Elite Convoy Transition Bag).

I've also determined that I'm going to need a wetsuit (for the events that allow them) AND a speedsuit (for the events that don't). Both add buoyancy and probably a bit of warmth. Given two of my issues with swimming involve sinking and being cold/wet, I have the feeling one or the other is going to be a must. I'm built more like a rock than a fish so I have a lot more drag than lift. I don't so much float on the water as pull it all along with me. Anything that adds even the smallest sliver of buoyancy could turn into my best friend during the swim. And if it keeps me warm, we're talking BFFs all the way. The cost of 'friendship'? It's going to be a prayer or two and Craigslist. Bought at full price, I'd be looking at over $250 for each (and I probably have to have both).

GPS technology rocks. I used a friend's GPS to navigate our way around San Antonio and Corpus Christi this Spring and I have to say I'm a believer. I think an old fashioned map has its place, but it's not when trying to get from one beach to another in a strange city. So, when I saw that Timex has a GPS watch, specifically designed for triathletes, I added it to my wish list. Sure, some reviews say that the GPS function doesn't work in some locations and tends to click on and off. I'm going to assume that those users were out in the sticks where even cell phone service gets a little dicey. I've watched plenty of episodes of 'Criminal Minds' so I'm not a fan of the sticks for running or biking (and definitely not for swimming). It's where all the crazy people live. I don't see myself straying too far from GPS service very often, if ever. I think the benefits - syncing workouts, knowing pace, mileage, heart rate (which I don't think I will ever use), and linking up with workout software on either my smart phone or home computer - by far outweigh the potential detractions. These are things I dreamed of having at my finger tips back in my twenties. The cost of this gem - $249.95 (Timex Ironman Global GPS Sport Watch). There are less expensive versions but the newly minted 'gear head' in me believes that you get what you pay for. In this case, with reliability of the GPS function in question, more expensive is probably better.

I already have some pretty cool 'gear'. Well, I have a kick ass bike, a helmet, and a good pair of running shoes. Hmm... It seems like I'm missing a few important things. Like... Pedals, shoes with cleats so I can 'clip in', biking shorts, a swim suit to train in (can't really use the wet suit or my string bikini at the gym pool), a computer for the bike (unless I get the GPS watch and it can double as the bike computer), water bottle for the bike (I'm teaching myself to be a camel, but I probably should drink on longer rides), biking jersey, goggles, sunglasses (the kind with interchangeable lenses would rock), and my very own timing chip. I'm sure I'll think of more stuff as I get to looking, but for now I'm good with needing all of the above.

I know I'm pretty vocal about my hatred of 'need' and 'needy-ness' and I guess I don't NEED the aforementioned gear, but dammit... It'd be super cool stuff to play with. Especially the GPS watch. Plus if I'm going to be competitive (and buoyant), I'm going to hedge in on 'need' at some point. I can't say I'm proud of my new found love of 'gear'. I still long for the days when I could just show up in minimalist fashion and kick ass, but I'm learning you can't do that with triathlon. I suppose I should start with the basics and gradually move my way up the gear 'food chain'. However, I keep coming back to that damn GPS watch. Cool stuff. And I neeeed it. Sort of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady