Ridiculously Long

I felt the wind blow through my hair today. While this may be a very ordinary occurrence for most people, it certainly wasn't for me. I have worn my hair ridiculously short for the majority of my life. The last time the wind would have been able to blow through my hair? December 1990. So, yeah... It's been a minute.

Last night I caught sight of something in my peripheral vision and it scared the crap out of me. Until I realized it was my hair. Again it's been the better part of two decades since I've had visible hair. Sure, I've let my bangs get a little long and they'd fall in my face, but long enough on the sides? No way. Never.

I started shaving my head two years ago. It was on my Bucket List so a couple friends and I took care of it. Then I liked it so well that I just kept shaving it. It's also a lot cheaper than paying for a haircut, given that I own clippers and can do it up myself. As surprising as it may seem, I always got compliments on my shaved head. Now, it wasn't shaved shaved, like to bald. I used a #2 guard on the clippers so I was left with some hair. Just not much.

One day a few weeks ago, I decided not not shave my head. I wanted to, but then didn't. Then I wanted to again, but didn't. And again. And again. I suppose now I'm 'growing it out', though I threaten to cut it every day. I keep telling myself that if a day goes by that someone doesn't compliment my 'long' hair or plead with me not to cut it, I'm shaving it. No question. Experiment over.

I really don't know why I want to try having longer hair (I can't say 'long' because it will probably never, ever, ever get to that point). Maybe I want to bust yet another stereotype. Or maybe I just want to be someone people don't think I am. Or maybe I'd like to surprise my mom by having a little hair when I see her in a few months (oops... Mom, sorry if I ruined the surprise). For whatever reason, I'm letting it hang in there.

It's really day-to-day. I am rapidly becoming my very own pet peeve over this (M pet peeve? People who bitch constantly and never to a damn thing about it). I whine and whine and whine. Sooner or later someone is going to tell me to shave it just to shut me up. If I'm honest, I'm looking forward to that day. Because I hate this hair. Hate it. You know how much shampoo I have to use? How much bed-head I endure every morning? And how damn long it takes this mop to dry? I have no idea how people put up with it. I can tell you that as soon as this experiment is over, I'm going back to my old ways. Just me and the #2 guard. Call me GI Jane. You won't offend me. I kinda like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady