Crossing Paths

I've had far too much to drink for a Sunday afternoon. I got drunk at a six year old's birthday party, which as I think about it, really sounds like an opening line from an AA Meeting. It wasn't like that. There were more lesbians than children and more alcohol was consumed than birthday cake. Somehow I ended up drinking when I didn't completely intend to. I took drinks. I planned to drink maybe two. I didn't plan on the two hitting me as hard as they did (eat only breakfast and two will hit you harder than you planned also). OK, so I could have totally skipped the third. But... Trust me. TRUST ME. You wouldn't have. Seriously. I promise. Take my word for it and move onto the next topic.

The next topic? Grown up lesbians. I never thought I'd live to see the day when a group of lesbians (and we're talking twenty-plus) with HUGE differences of opinion on a variety of topics (mostly involving women being with women other women don't think they should be with) would come together without blood shed. Heck, there wasn't even any broken glassware and no one uttered cross words. I feel like I was part of a near impossibility. In truth, I guess I wasn't really part of it. I crashed the party with my roommate and I didn't know 90% of the women there (so, I've slept with one of them....). Still it was nice to co-exist peaceably.

It may be a bigger community here in Austin than in Texarkana, but we still have to get along. Surprisingly paths cross and circles intersect. And kids have birthdays. Like today. If we'd all fought and carried on in partisan fashion, it would have taken away from the reason why we were there - so a cute kid named Noah could turn six with his friends and his mother's friends. I am so very pleased that for once we could put everything aside and simply be. It's very rare for lesbians to do such a thing. Usually it's all about them and revenge and who said what to whom. I can't tell you how many nights out have been ruined by broken glassware, inappropriate comments, spilled drinks, and punches thrown. Maybe it was the daylight or the unique women present today that made it different.

In any case, I came forewarned and prepared to 'beat a bitch' if need be. So thankful I didn't have to. Given that I have never in my life 'beaten a bitch' and wouldn't even know how to start. It was a good day - lots of sun, friends I hadn't seen in a while, and too much to drink. I'm good, though. Very good. And happy about the group of women I got to hang with today'. Sure, I could have skipped that third drink, but I still think it was a good decision. You'd have done the same thing. Anything to sit where you were sitting just a moment longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady