Greater Grace

I'm not much on Christmas, as a friend reminded me this morning (she wished me a wonderful day anyway), but I am much on Christ. I am not so centric as to think that he is The only Way to God; he is merely one way. And by 'way to God', I'm speaking figuratively. Perhaps that is blasphemous of me to say, especially amid a group of traditional Christians (imagine shouting 'FIRE!' in a crowded theatre and you'll understand the full effect of that blasphemy). I am as non-literal a Christian as there can be. Christ is my spiritual leader, my 'Cliff Notes'. He is not 'my Savior' (he can still be yours, if you'd like him to be). Because of him, I have a better understanding of God and my role here on Earth. Through his true message (which may or may not be found exclusively in The Bible), my path to godliness is made easier.

I listened to God a long time before I starting following the path left by Christ. The thing is, I'm still listening to God and He reassures me that My Way is The Way. For me. Maybe not for you, so you shouldn't necessarily do as I do. I do my best to live a 'Christ-like' life. I always have, even before I began following him. I'm not perfect, but I do what I can in the world I live in. I'm not going to give up everything I own to the poor, because then I would be poor. That makes illogical sense to me and it probably isn't as appropriate in 21st century America as it may have been in 1st century Judah.

The path to God and our eventual godliness is circuitous at best, linear at worst. I have stumbled over ruts in the road, bumped into walls, and tripped over my own feet. I've been bruised, beaten, and demoralized. Yet with each misstep, I found a greater Grace. Nothing worth having is ever easy. Why should we think godliness will be any different? Today my friends at Unity said that 'Christ in me is the hope of glory'. I disagree. There is no need for hope because we have certainty. Christ in me is the knowledge of Grace and Glory. It is more than Faith; it is Trust, an Implicit Trust at that. Knowing that everything I do will eventually lead me to God and my godliness is powerful, no matter how fucked up a path I may choose. Listening to God and following the example of those who came before are absolutely key, even if I get it wrong more often than right. Of course the more I screw up, the longer it will take. I'm good with that because of the eventual certainty.

Christ is the example I choose to follow. There are other wise, godly thinkers. Buddha, Gandhi. Stacee Ann Harris (well, maybe a few lives from now). God speaks through them and through each of us. 'Salvation', to use a word many will understand, is easy. All we need to do is listen without prejudice, love without cause, and live without fear. Celebrating Christmas is optional.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady