Off the Grid and in the Wind

I've got this idea in my head. What if I installed a ball-hitch on the Xterra and pared my life down so that it would fit in a U-Haul trailer (one of those enclosed ones)? If I kept myself fluid and debt free, I could feasibly pick up my life and move in an instant. One day I could be here and the next I could be moving onto someplace else. I'm not sure why that seems comforting to me. Most people want to establish roots, BE somewhere. Not me. I guess I'm just different.

I've spent most of my adult life searching for 'home'. After nearly twenty years of searching, I've come up with nothing. Flashes maybe, but that's it. I don't hold out much hope that I'll ever find it. So, I might as well give over to it and enjoy my home-less existence. What if I stayed here a year then move on? I work for the perfect company and have the perfect lifestyle. I really could do it.

Let's see. What would I need? Definitely my bed, the 'big chair', the antique coffee table, my dresser, and my little TV with the DVD player in it. And my desk. I'd also like to have my books. No need for a bookshelf. I can keep them in boxes. Of course, I'll need clothes and a few kitchen things. That's really it. Oh, and my dogs. They'll have to get used to traveling. I think all that could fit in a U-Haul trailer (please leave the lesbian jokes alone... I'm trying to seriously discuss my life and my future). The dogs would take up the backseat, but I'd still have the way-back of the Xterra for a few things. Yeah, I think I could do it.

It actually sounds kind of exciting. I could do a little research, ask for a transfer at work, pack up my stuff, Mapquest directions (no, I don't have 'navi'), and be on the road. I could roll into town, find an apartment near my store, hook up the Internet, and move in. Heck, it'd only take about an hour to be completely unpacked. And since I know I'll be moving again soon, I'd keep all my boxes handy. No need to re-create the wheel the next time.

How long would I stay? A year maybe? The duration of an apartment lease? Not long enough to make close friends. That's a given. Goodbyes are inevitable and never easy, so no sense in getting involved with too many people. What do I hope to accomplish then? I have no idea. Not a clue. See the sights? Find out what the people are like? Write about the experience? Move on? Yeah, that sounds about right. Of course if I decide to go to grad school, I'll have to stick around a couple years. Almost doesn't sound worth it. We'll have to see.

Sounds like a plan to me. In preparation, I'm going to pay down all my debt, including the Xterra, and stop clinging to things. No need to do any research. I figure it'll be a snap decision. I'll look at a map, point to a spot, do a quick google search, and be on my way. There is truly no telling where I may end up. Off the grid and in the wind... Yeah, I like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady