From the Pew

I'm sitting at an 'alternative bar' (by that I mean an alternative to standard heterosexuality). I don't drink much anymore so I'm just enjoying some country music and writing. Oh, and sitting on what seems to be an old church pew. I didn't see a kneeler on the back but sometimes they take those things off anyway. Not many people take as much glory as I do in an old church pew. I personally would never take off the kneeler but that's just me. I mean I guess minus the kneeler it's a hard, wooden couch. Call it what you want. I'm deeply fascinated by this pew and where it's located.

I'm certain that the original users of the pew prayed against this kind of thing. I'll bet they never had lesbian sex. If they had, they might have been a little less vocal in their criticism of the
matter. Nothing wrong with homosexuality, other than the fact that the Romans liked it. Then given that the Romans killed Jesus, Christians had to kill homosexuality. It was a tit-for-tat thing as I see it. Yeah, it sucks but as vindictive as current Christians tend to be, I understand. I don't condone it, mind you, but on a certain level I get it.

People have a hard time letting go of things. Jesus preached forgiveness, however I don't see a lot of folks following through on that. I get amazed looks when I say that I don't hold grudges and that I have forgiven every trespass ever committed against me. Life is far too long and my sanity far too tenuous to hold onto anything for longer than a few minutes. I quickly move past and move on. Now, that doesn't mean I'll ever trust them again or that we'll be anything closely resembling friends. I'm not dumb. Burn me. I'll forgive you, but it will never, ever be the same again.

I'm uncommon in this. Years later a lot of people hold onto old hurts that could have long ago been left behind. Why give some a-hole the power to dictate the course of your life and potentially ruin your psyche? I refuse to give that much power to anyone. Ever.

And here's where we come back to the pew. Even though Jesus's Christianity would have us forgive everyone, including the Romans, modern day Christians would rather hold tight to those old hurts. They won't forgive the Romans and as a result I'm sitting on an old church pew in an 'alternative bar' and chuckling from the irony. It may just be an idle thought, but I think gay people are going about it wrong with the Religious Right. Our focus ought to be on forgiving the Romans for killing Jesus (and really if they hadn't killed him, he would have faded into the sunset along with a hundred or so lesser prophets) thus freeing homosexuality from the bonds of history. Ipso-facto, marriage equality. Done. Super easy, eh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady