I'm A Mixer

I've discovered yet another beverage that mixes well with Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum - Diet Peach Tea. As I say that, I realize that's an incredibly alcoholic opening line. Hey everyone, guess what I like to drink? You'd think I'm the resident expert and liquor connoisseur. Hmm... Well, I suppose I'm all that, just in doses that would be considered somewhat South of alcoholic. I'm not going to lie - I do enjoy a drink. And I especially enjoy Sailor Jerry's. Thus far, I've mixed it with Diet A&W Root Beer, Coke Zero, Diet Rite Cherry Cola, and the aforementioned Diet Peach Tea. I'm not a fan of it sans-mixer. Yes, I'm a pussy when it comes to alcohol. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a mixer; I like the combination of flavors. So sue me.

Once upon a time, my girlfriend (or maybe she was my ex by that time. Duh. She was. Her boyfriend was there and I walked through a screen door after drinking three too many shots of Tequila Rose...but I digress) mixed up a drink that tasted EXACTLY like a Sweet Tart. Exactly. No lie. I can't remember what she put in it. We didn't have a whole lot of anything except Sangria, so she threw everything in the mix. Sadly, it was the best drink EVER and we were never able to re-create it. Take a note. That's what happens when you drink too much with your ex and her new boyfriend - you lose the recipe for a kick-ass drink.

Since then, I've had a few other amazing drinks. The Wedding Cake martini at Timothy's in Nash, Texas (especially when made by the resplendent, Stephanie), for example. Or... Pampero Anniversaire Rum with Diet Mugg Root Beer (many thanks to my Hot Friend who assured me that it would change my life...and it did). Or... Serrano's mango margarita. Or... Sweet Tea Vodka and diet sweet tea. Or... The chocolate cake shot I had at Central Station in Shreveport, Louisiana for someone's birthday (it may have been my own...not sure). Please note that while the chocolate cake shot classifies as 'amazing', it's not because it tasted amazing and I had to have another. No, Sir. It's amazing because it tastes EXACTLY like chocolate cake. With an alcoholic kick. Or... The Bahama Breeze served at (you guessed it) the Bahama Breeze in Tampa, Florida. They were so good that I had six courtesy of an older gentleman who told me that 'a woman like me shouldn't have to buy her own drinks'. Luckily my girlfriend had her own 'sugar daddy' so I didn't have to ask if he could buy her drinks also. Or... The Ex-Boyfriend shot Scott at Oil Can Harry's in Austin used to mix up for me. With pineapple, not cranberry juice. Or... The Cuba Libre at Zapata's in Texarkana, Arkansas. It's a Coke Icee with rum. I know. Enough said. Oh, and there was the Sex with an Alligator a cute bartender at The Hangout in Gulf Shores, Alabama made for me a year ago, complete with the plastic alligator to drink it out of. That was cool.



So, yes... I've had my share of good drinks over the years. Add enough lime to a standard Bacardi and Diet Coke while drinking with a pretty girl and it qualifies as a 'good' one as well. Some say I'm fairly easy. I'll drink Sweet Tea Vodka with water from the hose in the backyard (pretty girl optional, but preferred) if need be and I'll mix just about anything with Sailor Jerry's. Now, you won't catch me mixing a high class rum with just anything. I do have standards. Top shelf alcohol deserves the right 'top shelf' mixer. I'll drink nothing if the choice is Captain Morgan Private stock and Diet Rite Cola. This is how I know I'm not an alcoholic. Well, that and a few other things.

Perhaps in my next life I'll be a bartender. Except that I hate drunks and noise and I don't see well in the dark. I see a few inherent problems. Eh... Maybe I'll just write the next great bartending book. I mean I am a writer, aren't I? And I know a good drink when I drink one. I think I may have found my calling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady