And Darkness Will Be No More

'In the darkness that surrounds you, are you hiding from the light?'

from 'The Middle of the Night' by Pat Green


For a moment, I feared the sound of silence in my soul. My entire world was silent, dark, lonely. I was alone, totally and completely alone. I had nothing and no one. Except myself. And then when I looked inside, I found that everything I had once relied upon had disappeared. I couldn't handle the truth of loneliness and was so far from strong enough.  I fumbled and stumbled. I sputtered and struggled. With my light so dim, I stood at the bottom of the deepest abyss and looked up into nothingness.

So stripped and so lonely, I listened. My soul was quiet. I could hear only silence, a cavernous and deafening silence. I wouldn't last long like this. I wanted desperately to go Home, to be away from here. I needed something, someone - a friend, God, a shrink, a steady dose of xanax, a suicide cocktail. I'd have taken anything at that point. Anything.

Then from the silence of my soul I heard, 'Shine the light'. Was it God or me or the divine voice of my spirit within me? Either way I was reminded that darkness is merely the absence of light. All I needed to do find a way to find a little light. Little by little, I turned up the flame on my 'inner lamp'. It wasn't always easy but light invariably brings more light. Now, a year later, I am bathed in a light that comes from within and without. I have emerged from the darkness stronger than ever and more certain of who I am. I'm a 'stander' - I stand. And I shine the light, my light. I know now that the only cure for darkness is light. I will no longer hide from that light. I will shine it, my world will be illuminated, and darkness will be no more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady