A Moment of Sobriety

At first I was pissed. Dumbass. Dumbass. I'd left my rum at a friend's house (again) and it was a veritable night off. A perfect night for a drink, I think. Except... I forgot the rum (again). Then I happened to think about why I left the rum behind yesterday. In the throws of my first massive hangover in nearly ten months, rum was the last thing I wanted to think about. The headache and nausea finally subsided enough sometime shortly before 4pm and I was finally able to pull myself out of bed. As I shut her apartment door behind me, there was absolutely no thought of rum. Ugh... No thank you. Hair of the dog? More than no. Fuck no.

Today is, of course, a brand new day. And being twenty-four hours past my first massive hangover in ten months, I'm ready for a drink. It's Tuesday and I don't work until 8am tomorrow. That's reason to celebrate. Well, at the very least it's a reason to drink. It doesn't take much to convince me to drink these days. Sad and borderline functional alcoholic, I know. Then the bad news hit me. I didn't have my rum. And it's not like I could just run over and get it. As luck would have it, my friend has to work late tonight. So, I am without rum. Go buy a bottle? Yeah, that's the other good thing about being broke. I can't afford it.

With all that in mind, I decided it was for the best. I probably need a night off. The rum is a good friend, but we've been spending far too much time together. Sunday night... We tied one on pretty tight. Too tight actually. Still hungover at 4pm? Yeah, that's too tight. It's time I took a step back and reassessed the role of rum in my life. I didn't drink for the first two months after I moved to Austin. I've more than made up for lost time in the past two months. I don't need it. I don't. I'm perfectly content and happy (most days) all on my own and sober. Now, I want it on the record that I usually only drink enough to catch a good buzz; Sunday was an aberration. However, it still bothers me. I drink every day. Every day. I'm not sure I like it. So, maybe it's time I took a "forced" day off. I'd like to say I'll take the rest of the week off and maybe not even drink 'til New Year's Eve, but I fear I'd be setting myself up for failure. Friday is Christmas, far from my favorite day of the year. I might need a little rum to make it through.

I guess we'll see. However, today I'm good. I think I'll enjoy a moment of sobriety. And probably go to bed early. So much for my veritable night off. Eh, I still think it's for the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady