To Jinx Or Not to Jinx


I'm not certain if I'm a jinx or if I simply prefer the underdog. Like the time I rooted for the Cleveland Indians in the ALCS while having a few drinks with my girlfriend in an Irish pub in Portland, Maine. Did I mention they were playing the Boston Red Sox who hold more sway than the Catholic Church in the Northeast? Yes, I like an underdog. No one in that bar was rooting for them that night. I decided it was my duty to represent. Luckily my girlfriend was a formidable enough presence to protect me from any potential backlash. Even luckier, the Red Sox won so most people probably thought I was pathetic and dumb rather than an asshole.

Did I jinx the Indians that night? I suppose we could argue that one either way. The one time I root for the Indians they lose? It was probably a coincidence but one can't be sure. Until we look at my lifelong fascination with the San Diego Padres and San Diego Chargers. I've been a fan of both teams since I was old enough to know what being a fan meant. Let's do the math... In roughly eighty seasons (forty for each team), I can count the trips to the post season on one hand and the number of Championships on one finger. Still potentially just a coincidence?

More evidence... After liking the University of Michigan all my life (due to my mother's upbringing there), I became a true fan in the mid-90s. Just about the time I downloaded the fight song and knew the appropriate hand gestures that went along with it, things took a turn for the worse. Sure, in 1997, they won the National Championship and Charles Woodson won the Heisman. However, since then? Nothing. Ok, a couple minor bowl wins but at least a couple losing seasons to match. Historically, U of M doesn't have losing seasons.

Still more evidence... I moved to Texas in 2003 and resisted becoming a UT fan. They were far from an underdog and as I previously stated, I like an underdog. Plus, everyone in Texarkana loved the Longhorns (unless they like the Arkansas Razorbacks. More on that later) and I just hate following the crowd. I rooted for USC in the 2005 Rose Bowl only to watch the Longhorns' win in the waining minutes. Not only did my father, a lifelong USC fan, require a quadruple bypass in the days shortly after the game, but I threw my allegiance to the University of Texas. Hot women liked UT and if nothing else I liked hot women. A few short years later, UT had it's first crappy season in veritably forever.

Need more?
  • I followed the Chicago Cubs when I lived in Michigan in the 90s. Forever the underdog and forever the unlucky loser.
  • My dislike of the Yankees led me to root for their arch enemies, the Red Sox (this was long after the night in the Irish Pub). They won the World Series in 2004 and 2007, but have sucked since.
  • Under my watch the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Lion logged abysmal seasons only to improve when I moved to Texas and stopped following them.
There is always an exception to the rule and my exception in the Texas Rangers. I became a fan in the late '00s when they still sucked but were improving. I have stayed a fan and they have continued winning. Safe money, however, says sooner or later my jinx will catch up with them.

Other sports?
  • Zola Budd. 1984 Olympics. 3000m. Tripped by Mary Decker. DNF.
  • I've never been a big fan of golf but I threw my allegiance to Adam Scott in the 2012 British Open. He was hot and not expected to win until he was winning. Then with me rooting him on, he chundered in epic fashion and gave up a bazillion strokes in the final round and lost.
My exception in 'other sports'? Steffi Graf, who even after peeing next to me managed to win the Virginia Slims of San Diego in 1990. In those days, she was far from an underdog but no one liked her. She was too good and too stoic. I threw my hat in her ring and she lived to tell. Lucky her.

My latest tennis fave hasn't been as lucky, which is where this entire discussion originated. Fifth in the world and defending US Open Champion, she has won one match and gotten one 'walk over' since I became a fan. So grass isn't her best surface, explaining early round losses at Wimbledon and the Olympics (even though her big serve and strong grousdstrokes should make it ideal)? Ok, explain her third round loss in Montreal on HARD COURTS (after getting a first round bye and a walk-over in the second round, a match she could have lost). P.S. The US Open is played on HARD COURTS. It's me. I'm telling you. I'm a jinx. After nearly two decades on not 'fanning' tennis, I sign on with a woman having a good year and suddenly it's nothing but suckage. No one except me has that kind of bad luck.


Sorry, Samantha. This horrid summer is not your fault. Not to worry, though. I plan on rooting for Serena at the Open. Similarly with college football season starting soon, I'm going to focus my attention on the University of Arkansas Razorbacks, Ohio State Buckeyes, and Oklahoma Sooners. The way I see it I can either cry about my jinx or make it work in my favor, kind of like some Karmic reverse psychology. Hopefully, it'll benefit 'my' teams and faves. Please note, you will never see me root for the Yankees, Dodgers, Raiders, or Michigan State Spartans. Reverse jinx or not, I have standards.

Given that I grew up following the Padres and Chargers, I'm used to sucking but I just once I'd like to fan a winning cause. Just once. Of course, these days I'm wondering if all these years it's been me. Probably explains my mediocre athletic career, too. I guess I need to root for my opponent from here on. Man, that could just about ruin sports for me. If I let it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady