Cincinnati, Serena, and the Damn Jinx

The women's pro tour is in Cincinnati this week. I've never understood Cinci as a major tour stop. After all, what's in Cincinnati? Apparently a big tennis venue if nothing else. In any case, as I stated in a previous blog, I'm back to following  professional tennis and, as I stated above, the women (and men, incidentally) are in Cincinnati this week.

Serena Williams is back in action after taking a week off after the Olympics. Wait for the blasphemy because it's coming.......... And I'll be rooting for her. Oy. Is this what it's come to? Thanks to Sam Stosur and The Jinx, I feel that I have no choice.

I've never been a fan of the Williams sisters. Good players yes, but they always seemed to garner too much media attention and much of the hoopla was created by them. Historically, I like players such as Steffi Graf who quietly go about the business of kicking ass without saying 'Hey, hey, heeeeeey! LOOK AT ME!!!!' In their day, the Williams sisters were like a petulant child who couldn't get enough attention. They weren't the first and certainly won't be the last wanna-be celebrity icons in the women's tennis world, but still... It didn't mean I had to be a fan.

Then came the Olympics. Always one to be open minded, I truly enjoyed watching Serena bulldoze her way through the tournament. She played with focus and enthusiasm and seemed to embrace the best part of the Olympic spirit. Upon winning, she seemed giddy with excitement. It wasn't just another week on the tour for her - for that one week, she was playing for something bigger than herself, something bigger than her celebrity. I felt that she was not only playing to finally win her own Singles Gold Medal (her sister had won one at the 2000 Games), but that she was playing to bring a Gold home to the U.S.

In any case, her tennis was impeccable and fun to watch. Coming off wins at Wimbledon and the Olympics, she is clearly the one to beat on the women's tour these days. Lest anyone think that I'm a 'bandwagon' fan, I'm not. Absolutely, positively not. I've openly stated who my favorite player is and, if I could, I'd root for her. It's just that I can't. Well, I could but if I truly respect her as a player and want her to win, I have to throw my allegiance elsewhere. I'm more than a jinx, I'm her jinx. Her bad summer? My fault. For more specific details refer to my blog entitled, 'To Jinx or Not to Jinx', but suffice it to say that I've decided not to jinx.

This is why I'll be rooting for Serena this week. Regardless I think she's playing well enough to win and if I have to follow someone, it might as well be an American who's seemingly at the top of her game. With any luck, my change of focus will kick-start Sam's game. Does she have a chance to beat Serena without my jinx? Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I don't see her overcoming all her recent crappiness nor do I see Serena falling completely off the grid (her game at this point is probably strong enough to withstand my Jinx). I would, however, like to see Sam win a round or two, something I haven't witnessed since becoming a fan earlier this summer.

Don't ask what I'll do if they end up playing each other in the final (as the second and third seeds, they are on the opposite side of the draw). I'll probably ignore the match all together. I can't see myself openly rooting for Serena over Sam, but I suppose I'll do what I have to do.

Being a tennis fan isn't easy these days. I like who I like, but that damn jinx is killing me. It's apparently time to be selfless and do my part. Take one for the team, so to speak. Ugh... It all starts today. Serena plays tonight and I'm not paying attention to the other.

Go Serena!!! I'm going to have to work on that. It just doesn't feel quite right to me. Let me try again. After all, practice does occasionally make perfect. GO SERENA!!! Eh........ It's going to take some time. 'Go Sam!' was a lot easier. Damn Jinx.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady