A Scoreboard Confessional

Ok... So I checked a score. I probably more stumbled upon it while checking others. At least that's what we're going with. After all, she should have been off the court. However... She wasn't. And I got a live score. I muttered a 'Fuck. Really?' and carried on with my evening.

You gotta love technology. Via my iPhone 4 (and the WTA Tennis App) I can track tennis scores and tennis matches. Live. Every twenty seconds my phone updates and I can see who's winning, losing, choking, kicking ass, and barely holding on. Moment by moment. Sure, I don't know who 98% of the players are, but I can follow the 2% I do know (1% of those are named 'Williams'). Let me just say this would have been nifty back in the day when I was a real tennis fan. I'd have followed Steffi's and Gabriella's early round matches point-by-point. My buddies at the country club would have followed McEnroe and Agassi. We wouldn't have had to rely on TV coverage which wasn't much better back then than it is today.

Which is how I got into trouble last night. I was honestly looking for Serena's score. I was. I thought I knew who was playing when, but tennis tournaments don't always follow a perfect plan. And in my ultimate defense I was focused on work and not really paying attention to time and the expected order of play. But it was a slow Tuesday and matches were being played. I had to check, had to look. After bumping into what I wasn't supposed to bump into (given The Jinx and the fact that I steadfastly will not be following my favorite player this week), I went back to work and vowed I wouldn't check until later-later, long after she'd have to be off the court.

Oh, I checked later. I wanted to see if Serena had won her match. Really. That's it. That's all. Unfortunately, technology is only so good. On my way to finding Serena's score, I happened upon another. Whew... I remember thinking. She won six straight games to win that match. Thank you, Jesus. I wasn't following or the result may have been a lot different. As for Serena, she dropped seven games on her way to a straight set victory. Over a Qualifier. Along the way, she hit forty-four unforced errors. I don't think she had that many the entire Olympic tournament.

Still skeptical about me being a Jinx? Stosur pulls one out and Serena plays borderline dull? I'm telling you if I was rooting in reverse, Stosur would have lost 6-0 in the third and been bounced in yet another second round and Serena would have massacred her opponent 0-0 in forty minutes... including warm-up.

I assume Serena plays tomorrow. I'll check the order of play later tonight. And try not to take notice of the other. It's hard, harder than you might think.

Alright, I have a confession. I really wanted to see some tennis so I watched highlights on the Internet this morning. In my defense, I watched Venus, Serena, and thirty seconds of the older Radwanska sister (before I got bored and turned her off), not just Sam. Besides, it was long after the matches ended. The Jinx may be powerful, but it can't change what's already in the record books. God bless... I'm trying. Even if it doesn't seem like it.

I noticed earlier that one of my newly annointed favorite guys is playing today - Janko Tipsaravic. He's cute and I like his tattoos. He's doomed. Doomed, I say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady