Half a Lifetime Ago

We danced to this song. So long ago she probably doesn't remember ever dancing with me, much less to this song. Funny how the lyrics meant nothing then, but seemed to later on. In that murky period when she was on her way out and I was determined to keep her there. It was fruitless. It was. I know this now. Years later. I don't think about it much anymore. Except on nights like tonight when iTunes plays a song from the past. Then I think. And remember. How once upon a time we danced and for the first and only time in my life I lost myself completely in a moment. With her. And this song. Truthfully, it was less about the song than it was her. It was the dance, our dance, our only dance. It could have been any song. Yet it was this song. That's playing now for the second time (because I played it again).

'Is it all, or are we just friends
Is this how it ends, with a simple telephone call
You leave me here, with nothing at all.'

~O-Town, "Nothing At All"

She may know who she is. Or she may choose to not. I know. I do. And deep inside she does. She may not recognize the lyrics or remember the song. But we did dance. We did. Way back when. Half a lifetime ago.

From her, I got nothing at all. Yet in the end, I got everything. And such is God's Grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady