Tiny Travel and a Cup of Coffee

Let's get some business taken care of here at the outset. At some point (if this post goes the direction I'd like it to), it's going to seem like I'm either writing a product review or I have a travel sponsor. Neither is true. No one is paying me to do a damn thing - not to give my opinion or carry a particular backpack. It just so happens that I'm thirteen days away from my annual two week Spring run-write-cation and I feel woefully behind the eight-ball already.

I'm a planner. Not OCD level or anything and for shorter trips I've learned not to stress out. You can go without a variety of items for a weekend or maybe even a week, but two weeks? Yeah, you gotta plan. Ok, I gotta plan. By this time, I should have several to-do lists going. Things to do before I go (like put together my itinerary and email a copy to my mom - she worries - or order new running shoes). Things to pack (I'll come back to this one in a minute). Things to not forget to do/pack (i.e. charge all devices, pack chargers). I have two incredibly busy work weeks ahead of me and what am I doing on one of my remaining four days off before I fly? This. Writing a blog about all the things I have to do and drinking coffee. Until right now, it didn't occur to me just how ridiculous I am.

Anyway, I'm going rationalize that I'm getting focused. Hey, at least I'm thinking about thinking about everything I have to do. And I need to think. I need to. I need to re-format my entire packing strategy. I'm changing out my usual suitcase and going smaller, a lot smaller. Two years ago, I bought (Technically I think my mom bought it for  me for Christmas) a rollerbag that quickly transitions (I can do it at a red light while waiting to cross an intersection) from traditional suitcase to backpack. I love it. It's treated me well. It's versatile and has an incredible amount of space. It rolls well and it's reasonably comfortable when schlepping it on my back around town from train station to hotel and back again. So why change? Why add an additional degree of difficulty? Why go smaller?

Because I can. And because I found a brilliant backpack.

Thanks to well-placed sponsored ads on (literally) all my social media platforms, I discovered Cotopaxi and the Allpa 35L. Ads, ads, ads, and a really cool video clip convinced me, but I still had to think about it for a long time. Cotopaxi gear ain't cheap, not by my standards. Right around Christmas, I saw a sweetheart of a deal. I could get the Allpa pack I'd been coveting PLUS two smaller day packs that I'd also been contemplating, a pair of socks, a dop kit, and a water bottle for not much more than the cost of the Allpa itself. Oh, they were offering free shipping. And it was Christmas. Which I don't celebrate. Unless I need a reason to buy myself something.

When I made the purchase, I intended to use the Allpa for weekend trips. I never dreamed that I'd consider using it for one of my longer trips. Then I used it for a five day trip to Michigan and I was immediately convinced that I wanted to try it.  The bag is so well designed that you can fit far more than you'd ever believe in it. Plus, it's light and supremely comfortable to wear. Combine all that with my ever-growing minimalist approach to life and I was all-in.

I'm just hoping I can fit everything I need all-in in the Allpa. Thirty-five liters isn't a whole lot of space (It's about two-thirds of what I have in my other bag), but it's layout is ingenious and keeps everything so well organized. First off, it opens suitcase-style. You don't have to stuff everything down and in. You can pack it just like you would a traditional suitcase. There's a laptop sleeve on the outside and a variety of easy access pockets. In fact, if all goes well, I won't have to take a smaller carry-on bag for immediate travel essentials. I've found that I almost never use anything while actually travelling so why bother carrying it? (I will take one of the Cotopaxi day packs; I'm leaning toward the Batac 16L. It'll fold up nicely and stow easily in the Allpa for use around town once I'm at my destination. And it has a compartment that my travel laptop easily slides into).

The challenge - Maximize space and leave nothing essential behind.

The goal - A light and easy pack to schlep around and throw in overhead bins (The Allpa is fully carry-on complaint with most international airlines).

The key to it all coming together (Other than meticulous planning and packing) - The weather and a washing machine at my Air BnB in Croatia.

I can wax poetic all I want about the pack, but if I was going to spend all nineteen days in Scandinavia with only a Chinese laundry in my hotel bathroom, I'd never attempt it. Ten days in Croatia means that I won't need turtleneck sweaters and hoodies that take up an un-godly amount of space when packed. Plus I can wash jeans, shirts, undergarments, and running clothes so I won't have to pack in multiples. In other words, I'll be traveling lighter and should be able to fit all I'll need in thirty-five liters of space.

Because after two weeks, the lighter you travel the better. Trust me, you'll get tired of dragging bag upon bag from hotel to train station and through airports after airport. I'll be able to throw the Allpa on my back and be hands-free. It's not only less to carry but it's less to worry about and keep track of. I'm sure it'll come down to a negotiation process. Do I really need to take this? That? I plan to prioritize my packing list, like a Stephen Covey grad might do his or her to-do list. A's have to go, but D's? Only if they fit.

Friends always say they want to travel with me. Until I tell them that we don't check and we don't Uber. If you want to bring it, you better be able to carry it and heft it in and out of an overhead bin by yourself. Leave the frequent costume changes to Cher and pack for versatility. Period. You don't need half the shiz you think you need. Shoes for every possible occasion, makeup, hair dryers, curling irons, and skin care products can be done without for a couple weeks. Interestingly, no one has asked to travel with me a second time.

I say all this now. Just wait until I'm trying to stuff an extra pair of running tights and toenail clippers in the Allpa. I'm sure there will be moments of stress, but it will all be worth it when I slip it on my back, clip the chest strap, and feel the ease with which I will travel for two weeks.

~~

I wrote all that six days ago which means I'm now exactly one week from leaving (In fact, exactly one week from right now, I will be sitting on a United Airlines flight bound for Houston, waiting for the first leg of my journey to begin). What am I doing with my second to last day off before my nineteen day vacation?  This. Proof-reading a blog I didn't much care for when I originally wrote it (It's grown on me a little). In my defense, I have made a couple of the lists mentioned above and I've actually checked off a few items. Still I feel like I should be doing a lot more. My biggest concern is packing and I can't pack anything yet - I only have so many clothes and I'll more than likely wear the majority before I pack next week. I guess I could do a dry run. I did laundry this morning, so everything I need is clean. Sounds prudent and I am a planner...just apparently not that much of a planner because here I sit. Still. Working on this and drinking coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady