Top Ten Reasons Why I Don't Celebrate Christmas

It's no secret. I dislike Christmas. I hated it when I was non-Christian and I haven't changed my stance since becoming Christian. I've written on the topic many times, but I've never laid out the many reasons that color my opinion. To make it easy, I decided to put together a Top Ten list. As usual, the order has nothing to do with importance.

1. 'As Seen on TV' products. They define the inanity of Christmas retail. No one needs these products. No one. So why are people buying them? Because they need to buy gifts for everyone and have no idea what to buy. News flash - if you don't know what to buy someone, you don't need to buy them anything.

2. The proliferation of re-gifting. If you didn't like/want/need it, what makes you think someone else will? How about you just skip the gift giving all together?

3. Jesus in a Santa suit. I'd rather see Santa in a Jesus suit.

4. Let's be honest and call it what it is - Santa Claus Day. No one would fault me for not celebrating.

5. Black Friday that is slowly becoming Black Thursday and will eventually become Black Wednesday. Hell, we already have pre-Black Friday. It's dog-eat-dog in the world of retail, but when is enough enough?

6. Broke people getting even more broke spending money they don't have on gifts they don't need to give.

7. Christmas lights and assorted yard art. I'm sure it's worth the increased electric bill at a time when the electric bill is finally manageable.

8. People saying it's about peace on earth right before they start bitching about the in-laws they don't want to spend time with.

9. Non-religious people who bitch because some companies refer to Christmas trees as 'Holiday' trees. They're also the ones who say we need to keep 'Christ in Christmas'. I have a better idea - why don't we celebrate him year round and not just when we stand to get a bunch of gifts we'll end up re-gifting?

10. Fruitcake. No one likes it yet every Christmas it appears. Some call it tradition, I call it a waste of money.


And a bonus...

11. Radio stations that play Christmas music before Thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady