The Cusp of Broke and Near Vintage Clothes

I realized something last night as I put on a sweater that I know is at least a decade old. I want it on the record that I'm not a hoarder. If I haven't used it or worn it or looked at it in a year, I toss it or donate it. When I finally moved all my things out of my house in Texarkana a few weeks ago I took four trips of crap to the Goodwill. So no... I'm not one to hold onto things. The sweater, though, is different. I've worn it every fall/winter for the past ten years and apparently still have use for it.

I'm sure styles change and I probably look like I'm a few years behind, but it's not something I worry about. Why not? The answer to that leads us back to my realization. I've been on the cusp of broke for most of my adult like. Not ramen-noodles-every-night-for-dinner broke or where's-my-next-meal-coming-from broke, but broke nonetheless.

I've worked hard but made some interesting choices with my money. I've chased women to other states leaving myself partially and/or marginally employed; I've 'loaned' money to women for all kinds of things - college classes, kids' Christmas' (twice), car repairs...the list goes on  and on - and seldom if ever been repaid; I've maintained two residences twice for extended periods of time; I've driven across the country and back visiting friends and girlfriends; I've tried to save, but always end up using it to pay off some stupid debt.

This is why I'm perennially on the cusp of broke and still wearing clothes I wore a decade ago. I'm able to do this for three reasons - (1) I take good care of my clothes, (2) I haven't drastically changed sizes, and (3) I'm just not a clothes shopper. It may sound bad, but I'm more likely to buy a bottle or rum or food or a new bike or wheels for my skates.

Ok, it's not like everything I wear is a decade old. I've tossed a few things and upgraded few things. Some are hand-me-downs from friends and specifically one friend's daughter (thanks, Julia, for letting me raid your rockin' closet), others are pieces I've picked up on sale racks or at Plato's Closet for super discounted prices, still others are things I had to have (out of necessity...not because I thought I'd die without them) and bought at full price (running shoes, sports bras, regular bras, underwear).

Let's analyze my current 'outfit' (keep in mind I got up, poured a cup of coffee, and sat down to write). Wow. It's worse than I thought. And please don't ask how I remember where everything came from...
  • Boxer shorts - The light blue ones with palm trees. Bought at the Ralph Lauren Outlet store in Michigan City, Indiana. Circa 2003. They are starting to show a little wear but all things considered, they'll probably last another five years.
  • Long sleeve shirt - From a dance-a-thon (called the 'Fundango') to raise money for Gilda's Club in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Circa 2002. I re-discovered it a year or so ago and added it back into my regular fall/winter pajama collection.
  • Short sleeve shirt (worn under the long sleeve) - From the Burnet Tri Hard Triathlon, 2011. It was 'free' with race entry. I have quite a few shirts like this; this one just happens to be one of the newest additions.
  • Underwear - Joe Boxer panties, a hand-me-down given to me by one of the ex-girlfriends in the early 2000s. They still fit and the elastic is in near perfect condition. No need to get rid of them until they get holes.
Average age of said 'outfit'? 6.3 years (the new t-shirt skewed the results a little). I'm pretty sure if I analyzed most of what I wear on a daily basis, the results would be similar. This is what it's like for me living on the cusp of broke. I don't have much disposable income and what I do have I rarely spend on clothes.

I have friends who are my polar opposite. New clothes make them feel better when they're sad, happier when they're happy, and prettier even though they're already pretty. They wouldn't be caught dead wearing something a nearly decade old and would recoil in horror at the idea of hand-me-downs. Now they'll go to a resale shop and drop a fortune on something 'vintage', meaning a couple decades old, but to pull out a pair of jeans from the early 2000s? Not a chance.

I'm not judging them, just simply highlighting a difference between me and 99.9% of the women I know. I love my old clothes (many of which still look next to new). They are comfortable, comforting, and hold years of memories. That said, it makes me wonder. What will happen if I'm ever not on the cusp of broke and have plenty of disposable income? Will I spend money on clothes or continue to wear my tried and true selections...some of which are mere months from 'vintage' status? Truly, I think I'll still be Me, no matter how much money I have. I'm never going to be a 'clothes' person. I'll always be stylistically challenged, take hand-me-downs, look for sales on sports bras, and pull out the same old turtleneck sweaters every fall.

I've got three that I love - orange, black, and dark green. All are still going strong after nearly a decade and all have a few pretty cool memories attached. For example, the orange one I wore last night I also wore on the first date with the 'love of my life' more than nine years ago. Don't ask me how I remember that. I just do. I could tell you the date, but that would be down right embarrassing. Suffice it to say, it's not all bad living on the cusp of broke. Memories have always been and always will be free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady