Pure Genius

It was a phone number, not an ulterior motive. I guess I should back up. I gave my phone number to a woman today. She's a co-worker and maybe a new friend. She's virtually 'married' and I've been very (VERY) clear that I love being single so much that I don't date. Still, for whatever reason, I wanted her to have my phone number. Presumably so she could use it. Unfortunately, the day was such that all I could do was pass it to her sixth grade biology class style folded up and on the run. I was speaking to another co-worker at the time and rushing to an off-site meeting. I didn't have time to talk and explain and give it to her properly. As I think about it, the clandestine-ish nature of the hand off might have made it seem like I had an ulterior motive. Crap. At the time, I didn't even think about it. I wrote out my number so I could swing by her on my way out and give it to her. Properly. With explanation. Like, 'Hey, here's my number...if you ever need a work out partner...'. You know something completely innocent. And not ulterior. I actually hoped we'd have time to officially exchange numbers. But still, I wasn't thinking my note would seem so bad.

As it stands, hours have passed and she hasn't texted me. In this day and age, it makes me wonder. If I'd gotten a friend's phone number and I wasn't freaked out, I'd have texted when I got a chance just to give my number in return. Like, 'Hey, Stacee... It's Stacee. Thought I'd return the favor by giving you my number.'. Of course, if I suspected an ulterior motive I'd probably still be standing frozen in the same spot holding my note and wondering 'what the eff...'.  I'm pretty sure she's somewhere in the middle wondering what in the Hell I meant by it all. When in fact, I didn't mean anything by it.

Argh... Leave it to me to be murky creepy when all I intended to do was give my phone number to a female friend and co-worker who is apparently new in town and looking for friends. In theory. In fact, she flirts with me and I flirt with her. Given that we only work together once maybe twice a week, I wanted an opportunity to flirt in those in between times. And really, what's wrong with flirting? For the decisively single and/or the virtually 'married'? Nothing. Nothing at all. To me flirting is just flirting. The slight ego boost is just part of the fun.

Ok, so maybe I did have a bit of an ulterior motive. Ulterior, yes. Machiavellian? No. God bless, if I was anyone else, it could have meant so much more, but the fact is that it didn't. All I intended was friendship and flirtation. Period. End of file. Of course, the junior high style hand off was probably a mistake and assuredly has her wondering. Bottom line, I'm just not good at this stuff. I can't even give a woman my phone number right. It's a damn good thing I don't want to date. I'd never be able to navigate all that successfully.

And now I'm going to have weirdness at work. It's not like she's some chick at the gym I may never see again. Even though we don't work together often, we still do work together. Brilliant. I broke several rules for myself with this one, but namely, don't get 'involved' with co-workers. Well, crapola. Eh. Maybe it'll all blow over before I see her on Sunday morning. Wishful thinking, I'm sure. Things like this never just 'blow over' in my world. Nothing short of genius. Pure genius.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady