Not 2002

I think it's time that I acknowledged that it's not 2002 and it's not Norton Pines Athletic Club. Those were the days. I was motivated. I went straight to the gym after work every night and both days on the weekend. My routine was her routine. Or her routine was my routine. The answer to that one got blurred one night over drinks in May 2002, but it sure explains why I saw her almost every day for nearly eight months.

When I say I 'saw' her, that's exactly what I mean. 'Saw'. She did what she did and I did what I did. We never spoke to each other or interacted in any way (until we did). From my vantage point on the stair climber or from almost any station in the weight room, I could see her. So I watched. She was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen and my motivation. I loved going to the gym. Loved it. Even if my workout sucked, I still had her. At a distance.

That was then. This is most definitely now. Beautiful women are few and far between at the Planet Fitness in South Austin, Texas and so is my motivation. It's no secret that I don't like to work out. It's boring, blah, repetitive. The presence of a beautiful woman makes it at least palatable. My latest 'hot chick' is gone, to where I don't know, and I'm left searching for a replacement. In a place where no one is even close to pretty. As shallow as that may sound, it's at least honest. I know what motivates me.

I also know what I hope for. In a way. And in a way not. The memory of 'once upon a time' can be a powerful thing. It's not that I want it to happen again or even think that it could happen again. But... If it happened once, it could happen again, couldn't it? So in my own quiet way, I go and I look and occasionally I let myself hope.

Regardless, motivation is a good thing. The gym is a good thing. Now, though, I'm at a loss. No hot chick at the gym means no motivation. It looks like I either need a new hot chick or a new gym. Change isn't a bad thing. If I've done one thing this year, it's change. Maybe one last change is in order. And, given that gyms are more plentiful than hot chicks, maybe I should look for a new gym. I've been happy enough at Planet Fitness, but something has always been lacking. Maybe the disappearance of the hot chick is a sign, a different kind of motivation.

I probably won't find another Norton Pines 2002. Like I said, I don't expect it. Not really. But I can hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady