The Ring Stays

People say I'd be better off not wearing it. That a ring on that finger means something I don't want it to mean. I say it means exactly what I want it to mean. I love her. Maybe not the way most would assume considering I wear her ring on that finger. Ok, not 'her' ring. I wear a ring she gave me.  That may not make it seem any better, but I miss her so I wear it every day. On the ring finger of my left hand. Regardless of how it may look. And who it may scare off.

At the moment, I'm single and not looking. Adamantly. Both. Still though...occasionally I think a diversion would be pretty cool. The ring, however (I'm determined that it's the ring and not me), gets in the way. Or so people say (and I like to believe them).

Yet, the ring stays. And always will. I guess as I say that it begs a question. What if one day I'm not adamantly single and not looking? What if one day I find a woman? What if one day she gives me a ring? A ring that means what a ring on that finger is supposed to mean? What do I do then? Do I take off her ring and replace it with the other, the one that means the 'right' thing?

I try not to think about that day. It's highly unlikely anyway. I suppose, if it ever happened, I could put the ring on a chain and wear it around my neck. Others do it. Still though... I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. She'd be fine with it. She's not like that, not at all like that. She'd be happy for me; happy that I got a ring, a real ring. Finally.

For me, it'll be a little different. Until then, the ring stays. No matter what people say.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady