When Dinosaurs Eat Elephants

I wish I believed in dusting. My mother was a believer, a true one at that. Every Friday, which was cleaning day, she dusted the whole house. On summer breaks, that task fell to me. Sort of. I was never very good at it. Pick up everything and dust under? Ugh... Do I have to? I promise if my mom was one to beat kids, I'd have gotten beat every Friday over the 'room divider'. It held all kinds of knick-knacks that required moving and dusting. The shelves with all of our soccer and softball trophies were enough to make me quit organized sport all together. Over the years, I learned to start at the top (Dust falls down as you go so it does no good to dust the bottom first). I also learned that cheating was useless. My mother, much like the god she didn't believe in, was omniscient. I guess when you can cover that part yourself, you don't need God.

Needless to say, I learned how to dust the 'right' way. I can do it; it's just that these days I choose not to. I suppose I'm like a lot of adults who were made to go to church every Sunday as children. They could go now, they know all the songs, and maybe they even think it's the 'right' thing to do, but they choose not to. Or maybe they just don't believe anymore. If they ever did believe. Which I never did. I dusted because Mom required it, not because I wanted to or believed anything good would come of it. The dust comes back as soon as you get done anyway. By the way, believers don't buy that reasoning. Trust me, I tried every week for years.

So, yeah... I don't dust. I know I should. If you could see the top of my desk behind my computer, you'd understand. The dust dinosaurs ate the dust elephants that ate the dust bunnies. Still, I can't bring myself to believe any good will come of it. I don't care what Mom says, the dust really does come back as soon as you get done.

Incidentally, I don't believe in knick-knacks either. And I'm still not big on trophies. They're just something you have to dust and dust around. UNDER. Something you have to dust under. I still haven't figured out how dust gets under things. I'm pretty sure you have to be a believer to understand that one. And given that I'll never be a believer, it shall remain a mystery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady