Wildy Superfluous


Kelli Giddish...Stolen from Google Images
Amy Matthews...Stolen from Google Images


What do these two women have in common? Other than a moderate amount of fame in certain circles (Amy hosts various shows on DIY Network and Kelli currently has a supporting role on 'Law and Order: SVU') and a coveted position in a Stacee Ann Harris blog? Let me explain.

For years, people have asked me 'my type'. Traditionally, I don't have one. I like who I like and there's no explaining that. Essentially, I date who I date (usually the ones who want to date me, regardless of hair color, body type, or sexual orientation) and I seldom find myself blown away by attraction. I like to say it's more about 'energy', though I'm not sure that's correct either. Right now sitting here, it all seems like a bunch of half truths and partial lies. Kind of like when I used to 'crush' on boys is high school and college; it was more to seem normal and garner less attention than any kind of real attraction or crush. So, maybe coming out didn't change me as much as one would think. Anyway...

Traditionally/historically, I haven't had a type. Until a few weekends ago when I found myself instantly and crazily attracted to a woman four and a half light years away (reference my blog 'Really Blond' for details). Ok, let's ignore the fact that she was on TV and I was on a treadmill at my gym. Let's also ignore the fact that we will never, ever, ever meet. Let's also ignore the fact that she's straight and I'm not. This is not a blog about all that. This is a blog about me finally discovering that I just may have a type.

I'm well aware that one attraction does not make for a 'type'. That's where Kelli comes in. A little back story... If I'm watching TV (at home; the gym is a different story), I'm probably watching some kind of crime-drama, such as  'Law and Order', 'CSI', or 'NCIS'. I have a serious case of impatience and little else can hold my attention. Alrighty, so a few weeks ago the new Fall season started for prime time TV. 'Law and Order: SVU' and 'CSI' are now on opposite each other. The first week I thought I'd flip between both to see which storyline was better (No, I don't DVR. I assume sooner or later I'll see all the episodes without the assistance of technology). I didn't flip long. Enter Kelli, a new character on 'SVU' apparently designed to eventually replace Mariska Hargitay's character.

Once again, wow. Bam. Attraction. From a little more than four and a half light years away. Let's ignore the fact that she was on TV and I was in my bedroom in Austin, Texas. Let's also ignore the fact that we will never, ever, ever, EVER meet. Let's also ignore the fact that she's probably straight (I don't have definitive evidence to the contrary...yet) and I'm not. This is not a blog about all that. This is a blog about my newly discovered type.

Check out the similarities. Blond. Nordic. Pretty. What these pictures don't show is body type. It's frighteningly similar. Thin, but not too thin. Long, but not too long. Tall, but not too tall. So, yes. It appears that I have a type - not too tall, not too long, not to thin, Nordic-looking blonds. At least now I know what the needle looks like. Still it won't be easy to find in the hay stack.

I've spent a little brain power in the past few weeks trying to figure out why. Why now? Why blonds? Why these women? Maybe God is getting me ready for the advent of something great. Maybe God is trying to tell me I need to live where there are more Nordic blonds. Argh... All those places involve cold, snowy winters.

It's only moderately fun, having a 'type'. The good news is that I have an answer when people ask. The bad news is that I still don't want to date so this all seems wildly superfluous. What's the point when I really don't want there to be a point? Eh... We'll see. God always has a surprise or two in store for me. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy watching the occasional DIY Network program (check out 'Sweat Equity'. It's actually kind of fun and she is pretty) and the new season of 'SVU' (her character should get more and more screen time and she is pretty). As with nearly everything in my life, I'm just going to go with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady