Really Blond

I discovered yesterday, in the middle of a super long run on a treadmill at Planet Fitness, that I'm attracted to blonds. Given that I was at least an hour into the run, this may have been caused by oxygen depletion and/or low blood sugar. There's really no telling.

As a rule,  I don't like blonds. I don't. Never have. Sure, I've dated a few and even crushed on a few, but I always stand by my rule. I don't like them. And it's not because I haven't had much luck with them. Truly, I haven't but then again I haven't had much luck with brunettes or red heads either. It's just that if I'm going to be instantly attracted to someone, it's not going to be a blond. Ever.

Of course, all that changed yesterday morning. I saw a woman I was immediately drawn to. And she was blond. Like really blond. Not dishwater, almost blond. Blond blond. Really blond. And pretty and smart and put together. How could I tell this from a momentary 'interaction' at the gym? Easy. She was on HGTV and she seemed to know what she was doing on some home renovation show.

Yeah, leave it to me to find myself instantly and immediately attracted to someone a million light years away. In my defense, I'm usually not all about women I've never met. I don't crush on movie stars (Ashley Judd is NOT a crush) or become infatuated with mythical people I'll never meet. This 'thing' yesterday was monstrously out of character. And nothing like anything I'd ever experienced before.

Like I said, it could have been the product of a long run, dehydration, and low blood sugar. Assuredly, I was in a skewed mental state. You can't possibly attempt to run 13.1 miles on a treadmill (much less anywhere) and come out on the right side of normal. It was probably nothing more than a weak moment, an aberration.

But it seemed so real. Visceral. Deep. Magical. Intense. Weird. Definitely weird. I was captured and captivated. I rarely find myself attracted to anyone, much less feel the way I did yesterday morning.

Of course, she's little more than a figment of my imagination. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about her 'place' in my life. I love being single and really don't want attractions such as this. In real life. Maybe that's all part of it. Up there on the TV and realistically non-existent, she's safe. Amazingly so. The single-loving part of me can be as attracted as I want and risk nothing. If she had been there in person, I don't know what I'd have done. I'd like to think I'd have found a way to say 'Hello'. I am learning to heed the sparks and not let those kinds of moments pass me by, but I haven't quite perfected all that yet. Really, I don't know what I would have done. Argh.

So, what was the point of her? There has to be a point, doesn't there? To clue me into blonds? To show me that I should keep my eyes open because you just never know? Or maybe I'm destined to find her in real life. Stranger things do happen and thoughts occasionally do become things.

How do I know this? I have found myself similarly attracted to two other women in my life (they were both brunettes and not on TV) and even though it seemed impossible at the time, they became part of my life. I don't know how, but we were drawn together. Of course the odds are a bit slimmer in this case - I actually knew the other women. Eh, never say never.

In the meantime, I'll probably end up watching a little more DIY/home improvement TV. Which I traditionally HATE (just like blonds. Go figure) partly because I've worked for the World's Largest Home Improvement Retailer for most of decade and mostly because I really hate home improvement. God can be hilarious where I'm concerned. Absolutely hilarious. Dammit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady