Absolutely, Unequivocally

I wanted to touch her hand.
Feel her fingers intertwined with mine.
That's it. Just once. For a moment.
Then I'd be done. I'd be good.
It would be enough.

Or it would be addicting.
And I'd be fucked.
Absolutely.
Unequivocally.
Fucked.

So I did nothing.
I sat, I spoke.
Gestured with my hands.
Perhaps too much.
I don't know.

One day it would go away.
The craving, the necessity, the need to know.
It always did.
Surely, she was like the others, the rest.
Wasn't she?

Surely, I thought.
Still talking, still gesturing.
Still keeping my hands busy.
But as I looked at her, I realized.
She wasn't them; they weren't her.

And there was nothing I could do.
I was fucked.
Absolutely, unequivocally fucked.
She was becoming what she shouldn't be, couldn't be.
There was little I could do to stop it.

A touch or not.
It didn't matter.
I talked on, tried to take my thoughts elsewhere.
Willed myself to be elsewhere.
But there was nowhere else.

She was everywhere, would be everywhere.
And damned to this awakening,
I vowed - against my most ardent wish -
She would never know what I know.
Feel what I feel.

So I sat, I spoke.
I gestured with my hands.
They had to stay busy, my hands.
Because in one touch they could tell all my secrets.
Absolutely and unequivocally, every last one of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

And I Persist