In the Long Run

I know I've written in the past about windowless hotel rooms and that I don't travel to look out a window. Right now, if my hotel was windowless, I'd be out at a cafe writing this. I'd be inside (It might be almost 60F but I'm not nearly Nordic enough to sit outside), with headphones on, shoes on, feet on the floor, lap top on a table drinking a coffee that would more than likely keep me up well past my bedtime. I wouldn't be looking down at a Copenhagen street from four stories up, a light breeze blowing the curtains (hotel room windows tend to open in Europe...at least at the class of hotels I can afford), the sound of traffic mingling with the BeeGees and Lady A on Pandora, a can of Somersby Elderflower and Lime Cider on the table next to me, my feet resting comfortably on the bed in front of me. My post back in October (A Room Without a View) wasn't a rationalization to make me feel better about my living situation. I was in Stockholm; God knows I didn't need any kind of rationalization to make me feel better there.

Nor do I need one here in Copenhagen. And I sure don't need a hotel room with a window to add value to my visit. Yes, in the rack n' stack of Scandinavian cities I've visited, Copenhagen finishes in third place. I mean it's Denmark (no offense Danes), not Sweden, so of course Stockholm and Gothenburg are going to come in ahead. But it's a pretty kick ass city in its own right. There is something special here - the mingling of culture, green space, art, and architecture; a tight grip on the past but an eye on the future ("reclamation" is a better word than "gentrification" to describe what's going on in Copenhagen); a muted vibrance that envelopes the city. It's neither loud nor soft, boastful nor shy. It's self-deprecating and honest, a city that wants you to like it but since it likes itself so well it doesn't base its self-worth on what you think or say (or blog).

So, yep, I'm sitting several stories above Copenhagen (Vesterbrogade, if you know the city) as I write this. Spring has finally arrived. A light breeze blows in and finally, for the first time in two weeks, I'm warm (I actually went out a bit ago without my coat and felt half-naked). Because spring has given way to "early" summer (meaning it's not yet a blast furnace) in Central Texas, warmth won't be an issue when I get home to Austin tomorrow afternoon. I won't see a pair of jeans, a jacket, or a long run until October.

That's partly why I came back to Copenhagen earlier than I planned today - the chance to get in one last long run before I pack up the running shoes for the summer (Funny, running season is just getting started here and I'm closing up shop. That's the difference between Scandinavian and Austin seasons).  Maybe that's why I'm enjoying the post-run soreness in my legs (Yes, Manny, I forgot to stretch and, yes, they are all being fuckwaffles at this point) and my windowed hotel room so much. It might be Copenhagen's first glimpse of spring but it's my last gasp. Before I'll blink, it'll be air conditioning, humidity, and mosquitoes for the duration.

Until I travel again in October. Man, if I had my way (Dare to dream, right?), I'd summer someplace where they have normal summers (like Northern Europe) and winter someplace with easy-going winters (like Austin or Northern Cal or maybe Seattle but they had a fucker of a winter this year). Unfortunately, that's not my reality just yet which means I'm starring down the barrel of a long, hot Texas summer. Time to dig out the summer clothes. Who am I kidding? I never put them away.  [Life goal: Seasons that aren't all so summer-like that I need tank tops and flip flops year-round.]

Right now, though, I've got a few more hours of Spring and I plan to enjoy them. See y'all in the summer...er...tomorrow!


*** Thank you, Lena and Go Running Copenhagen for the super fun run this afternoon. I know you didn't have anything to do with the weather, but it truly was absolute perfection. ***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady