Joy and Motivation

She always seems to appear exactly when I need her. Today was a boring, trying, I-don't-want-to-be-here day. Until I saw her. She didn't have to say a word or smile. Her mere presence was enough for me. Honestly, it's probably best that she doesn't speak or smile. The mystique and distance are at least as attractive as she is. To me anyway. I'm sure others would love a smile or a conversation. I'm a whole lot simpler than that. She, just being there, is enough.

So yes, today...  I'd told myself that if I went to the gym, I could do nothing for the rest of the day (as we can see that was a big, fat lie but it's one I tell myself often), so off I went. On the way, I remember thinking that of all days, this was a day for a hot chick. She alone could save the day. I didn't hold out much hope, because I knew it was Friday and for whatever reason I seldom see her on Fridays. As I walked in, I did my usual glance here and there. I didn't see her.

Oh well... No choice but to persevere. I stowed my things in a locker, put my headphones on, and hopped on my favorite eliptical. I was cruising through about the twenty minute mark when I noticed her several feet away, on what is apparently her favorite eliptical.

The rest of my workout went well. A glance here and a glance there. All stolen, of course. Remember I'm not so brazen, not so brash. Or so confident. Besides, she seems a lot like me - in pursuit of quiet, solitude, and a good workout. Not smiles and conversation. So, I leave her be. Mostly because it suits me, but at least partial because it suits her.

I finished my workout, gathered my towel, and walked past her to the locker room. I cut my eyes in her direction, just briefly, for one last look. 'Damn, she's beautiful', I thought. It's what I always think. I got my keys and phone from my locker and stopped at the drinking fountain for a quick sip of water. It had been an unexpectedly good workout.  I sighed and smiled and walked out into a beautiful Austin day.

Joy is easier with a hot chick. And so is motivation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady