A Night Like This

The purple-yellow horizon fades to black, my favorite time of day. Night. A thin breeze, unexpectedly cool. I shiver; my hands find my pockets. They will be safe there. I look up. Infinity will arrive soon. Stars and more stars, defying the city lights. There wouldn't be a moon. All the better. Fewer shadows, more truth. This is why I prefer the night. The glare of the sun lies, creates hiding places, disguises, obscures. But in the darkness...everything is known, secrets are revealed. My head tipped back, gaze steadfastly on the sky above. My neck hurts. A picnic table, a front row seat. I lay down, one arm behind my head, knees bent, ready. One by one, they appear; the smallest specs of light. Wind through the pines; a unique sound, the beating of my heart. Darkness closes in, touches me. I close my eyes; I breathe in, exhale; open my eyes. Infinity unveiled before me.

Day will return. Light will shoo away the darkness; night will scurry into the shadows. I will struggle in the glare and wish for the setting sun, a cool breeze through the pines, and a shower of stars.

Because I could fall in love with a night like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady