The 30-30-30

My latest idea goes like this. Thirty running tours in thirty European cities in thirty days. It sounds like a blast to me. See Europe. Run Europe. Write Europe. For a month. A MONTH! Of course, the downside is that I'll have to run 8-10km a day for thirty days. On forty-nine year old legs. Pish-posh. Nothing easy is ever really worth trying. Besides if I fail, I'll have failed in Europe and, with the right spin, it'll still make for a good story. And ultimately, that's what matters.

I've almost let the luke warm response I've gotten from people get me down. Invariably, heads sink into necks, eyes narrow to a quizzical near-scowl, and lips purse. No vocalized nay-saying is required. Facial expressions and body language are more than plenty. The "Huhs" and "Whhhyyyyys" come through loud and clear.

So, why do I want to do run thirty running tours in thirty cities in thirty days (The 30-30-30)? Give me a few minutes of your time and I'll tell you.

  • I want to see Europe. I'm pursuing a masters' degree in European History. I should probably get out there and see some of the places all the books are talking about. 
  • I love running tours and want to do anything I can to promote concept. I did my first one in Stockholm (with Dan from Run with Me Stockholm - www.runwithmestockholm.com) and I was hooked. For a runner, there is no better way to discover a city. (1) You have a tour guide who will fill you in on all the cool things about the city, whether that's history, culture, or cuisine (Maybe all three). Plus, your guide will take you past sights you'd never find on your own. (2) If you're planning to stay a few days, you'll get a running route (Use your GPS watch during your tour and download the route to your phone for future use). (3) You'll get in a run. On vacation. When procrastination of fitness activities always runs high. If you book a running tour, you're locked in. Plus you'll run past some cool stuff AND get advice on where to find the best local craft beer. If you're into that kind of thing. Dan showed me where Greta Garbo grew up and told me where to get kottbullar (meatballs) because that was my kinda thing. [FYI, there are more than fifty running tours available in Europe alone and many, many more in the U.S., Asia, South America, and Africa. Check out www.runningtours.net for more information].
  • I'm almost fifty and I still believe that anything is possible. Others should, too. I hope that my example will show people of all ages that age is just a number. Goals can be set and accomplished at any age. Even running ones. 
  • More than anything, I want to see if I can do it. Imagine what my life will be like for that month. Wake up, eat breakfast, run, shower, pack, catch a plane/train/automobile to the next city, check into hotel, do laundry, eat dinner, write, sleep a few hours. Repeat thirty times. Days, tours, and cities will assuredly blur. And there's no telling what the weather will be like. I could face heat, cold, rain, sleet, humidity. It could be heaven or hell. In truth, it'll probably be both.
I get it, Nay-Sayers. You don't want to run thirty steps in your own neighborhood, much less ruin what could be very nice month in Europe by running everywhere. I'm crazy. It's going to hurt. I'm going to get a truck load of overuse injuries. Knees. Ankles. And what about my plantar fascia?!? And my toenails. Won't they take a beating? What if I get injured? What if slip, trip, or fall and really hurt myself? Hell, I could get lost, miss a train, lose my luggage, my passport could get stolen. I could get the flu. Or food poisoning?!? What if there's a monsoon? (In Europe?)  It's endless, the list of negative possibilities.


"Don't ruin my story with your logic."
~ Rick Castle, "Castle"

And really, that's what it's all about - the story. I assure you, there will be days I won't want to run a step and days I'll want to quit. Maybe I'll fail. Maybe I'll give in. Maybe I won't have what it takes. You know what? That's ok, too, because ultimately, my goal in this life is to live a good story. Success or failure, the 30-30-30 will be a good one. Of that I am certain.

Seriously, hoping it's a published one.

Comments

  1. Hi!
    I'm David, from FootTurismo (Granada Running Tours). The idea looks awesome. We would for sure do something like that whenever we have the chance in the future!
    In the meanwhile, the only thing we can do is inviting you to one of our running tours around the city. We'll be really happy to help you accomplishing your challenge!
    If you are interested in running around the wonderful city of Granada, just let us know!
    Here is my contact: david@footturismo.es

    Best wishes!!
    David Gutiérrez

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady