The Reality of Fiction

I started a new story the other day. And honestly, the worries I'm having are probably why I'm planning to write historical fiction in the future. My current story is set in the (relatively) present day in Austin, Texas. As with my other stories, there's tennis and at least one lesbian protagonist. Write what you know, right? It'll give your writing a ring of authenticity, right? Well, I know tennis, lesbians, and Austin. Can't get any more authentic than that.

Let me just get it out there. After all it's the purpose of this blog.

I have a few concerns.

Oh, I'm good with the story and my ability to tell it. Those are usually my biggest worries when I start a new story. Am I worthy? Can I get it down on paper in a coherent fashion? Check and check. I also have the plot and main characters nailed down. Check. Check. So, what's my problem?

Reality.

Yes, reality.

Let me backtrack. About ten years ago when I was blogging a lot and had a pretty good small town following, people wanted to be in the blog. They told me so over and over and even did things and said things in my presence to "make the blog". Often times when finally included they'd freak out. I never name names, ever, but somehow those mentioned would assume that every reader, including my mother who'd never met them, would know exactly who they were. And care. Guilty conscience? Small town curse? Maybe. And you know what? More often than not, they weren't even who I was talking about. Thankfully, I never lost friends permanently, but I did have a couple friendships put on hold until I could be "forgiven". Many times for something I didn't even write about (from the Check Your Ego File).

Fast-forward... As I said above, I'm working on a fictional story set against the backdrop of a women's league tennis in Austin. Here's what I'm half-expecting, half-fearing.

  • Who's that supposed to be?
  • Oh, my GOD, is that me she's talking about?
  • Holy shit, that's so-and-so! It's got to be!
  • Stacee slept with who?? (For the record, Stacee didn't. Stacee has a girlfriend).
Let me be clear, this isn't some kind of tell-all Tennis Playing Housewives of Travis County kind of story. I'm not doing an expose, nor am I attempting to "out"anyone on any level. My protagonists are 100% fictional and the "situation" they get themselves into is also fictional.

That said, there may be supporting characters who seem like, look like, or act like real, non-fictional people. What's the disclaimer? All persons and situations portrayed are fictitious? I promise that they are. Of course, fiction often has a ring of truth... And really, some of this shit I couldn't make up if I tried.

So, here's my caveat for readers -


  • If you think a character is you or a situation about you AND you are flattered, it was you and about you.
  • If you think a character is you and a situation is about you AND you are NOT flattered, it wasn't about you.
How about that for a disclaimer?

I guess I'll stop blogging and get on with the story. Stay tuned. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady