Stop and Start

There comes a point in life when we just gotta stop talking about it and start doing it. I know I'm not the perfect example of a life perfectly lived. I've made a number of questionable choices - mostly involving women, cross-country moves, and spending money (those may or may not be mutually exclusive). I've been a hot mess and a train wreck. I've herded cats and rounded up my share of monkeys, largely unsuccessfully. I truly don't have much to show for the first forty-seven years of my life. Except maybe my sanity, a couple nearly useless college degrees, and one unpublished novel.

Trust me, though, when I say it's time to stop talking about it. What it? Any it. Or all of them. It may be trite to say that life is short. But it really is. And you only get this one. I guess that's trite as well. In this case, and I'm sure in many others, trite is true. Life is short and once it's over, it's over (Please don't make me debate religion here. If you believe in more than one life, fine, great even. Still this is your only life as you. Why waste it?).  Bottom line of my argument - there is no time like the present to do all those things you say you're going to do. 

For example, I said for years that I want to go to Sweden (I still don't know why. See my blog entitled "Sweden or Bust 2017" for details). Then a few months ago, I decided that I was going. See the difference? 

  • I want to go to Sweden.
  • I'm going to Sweden.
Ok, now how about this? 

  • I'm going to Sweden March 27, 2017.
I'll admit that my hand shook and I needed to take a couple deep breaths before I ran my finger across the screen of my iPhone. "Swipe to purchase." Eek. But I did it. The deal was too good to pass up. Moreover, I wanted to stop saying that was going and actually be going. Sure, a lot can happen between now and March 27th, but I have a ticket.

I HAVE A TICKET. 

It's pretty heady. I'm excited and nervous, but here's the best part... I'm no longer talking about my dream. 

I'M LIVING IT.

And that's what I mean when I say to stop talking about it. Live it. Do it. Be it. Find a way. Because before you know it, another year will pass and then another and you'll still be talking about.

Want a graduate degree? Get one. I did. Want to write a novel? Write one. I did. Want to run a marathon? Run one. I did. Want to drive a Volvo in Sweden? Buy a ticket. I did (FYI... You can also fulfill this one by buying a Volvo in America and taking delivery Sweden. Volvo pays for your trip and you get to tour the Volvo factory. But for the small matter of $35k minimum, I'd be going this route).

I didn't add "I did" above to make myself seem better than anyone. "Hee-hee, look at me! I did it!" No way. I added the "I did" because if I can set a goal and accomplish it, anyone can. Trust me. ANYONE. 

When mired in the status quo, I'm so far from special. However, when I break free... when I break away from all that should hold me... I'm extraordinary. And we ALL can be, too. If we just stop talking and start doing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady