For Research Purposes Only

I have a lot of cool things going on this weekend - a wedding, a party, a trip to Sea World - and yet as I got off work last night (well, technically this morning), what I found myself looking forward to most was a book. A book. Seriously.

Oh, not to worry. I'm still not a reader. I seldom read for pleasure; I read for education. Truly (and sadly), there are only so many ways to gather information about the world and its history. Reading happens to be the easiest and most accessible of those options. As much as I may hate it and begrudge it.

So, this weekend I find myself anxiously (read: excitedly) on the cusp of a new book. And, incidentally, a bunch of new discoveries that will hopefully inform my writing. Ok, let's clear something up, lest anyone think I'm reading and thus educating myself for purely altruistic reasons. Get ready.

Ready?

I READ FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY.

If it looks like I'm having fun or I say I'm excited, it's only because I've learned something that adds nuance to a story (or in the case of this weekend's book, I expect to learn something that will add nuance).

So, what am I hoping to add some nuance to? Currently, I'm working on a prequel to my latest short story, "The Parasol". The story takes place during World War 1 at a Casualty Clearing Station. How do I know that terminology? How did I know where to set my story? I just finished a book on nurses and medical service during WW1. Boom. Gotta read to know things. Up next is a book on First Aid Yeomanry Nursing (which included ambulance service) during the war. Why? One of my characters is an ambulance driver. Duh.

I could avoid all this reading and researching by not writing historical fiction? Ah, true enough (some days I want to kick Sarah Waters in the shins for re-inspiring me). However, I enjoyed historical fiction back when I was a reader and I like the challenge of bringing history to life for readers. Plus, it makes my two years of grad school (and its concomitant student loan debt) seem more worthwhile. My experience at St. Edwards University re-taught me how to research and how to translate that research into works of fiction. If I ever sell anything, my time there will truly be priceless.

Even more shocking, at the moment, I'm involved with about four other books. In addition to the World War 1 medical stuff, I'm reading up on travel in Sweden and Scandinavia, Swedish grammar, screenplay writing, and lesbian history. I reiterate that none is for pleasure. I'm going to Sweden - Gotta know where I want to go and a bit of the language. In addition to the aforementioned prequel, I'm in the early idea phase of a screenplay - Gotta know how to write one if I'm going to write one. The characters in the prequel (and the screenplay and at least one unfinished novel) are lesbians (please don't tell me this shocked anyone) - gotta know what it was like to be lesbian before I became one.

I'm going to say it one more time for effect -

GOTTA READ TO KNOW THINGS.

As much as I fucking hate it.

But let me say this, gotta love the readers. And I do. I love the readers who dive in head first, who love the writing, who love the story, who live for the story. Without ya'll, I don't know if I'd bother doing what I do. Including all this damn reading. Oh, wait...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady