The Mathematics of Traveling Small

Well, I've begun packing for home. From where it stands right now - and I don't expect to buy anything else - I can safely say that I survived two weeks traveling small. Ok, ok... Full disclosure. It's very likely that my day pack will no longer fit in my main pack. Hey, I bought a couple things. I mean I can't come all this way and not bring anything but photos home. And, really, the sweatshirt in Stockholm was intended to be more utilitarian than souvenir. And it was. The hood came in handy, even after I got to Dubrovnik and the weather improved exponentially.

Thanks to the washing machine in my apartment, it's clean and ready to wear to Copenhagen tomorrow, where the weather promises to be a bit chillier than in Croatia. Plus, it just doesn't fit in my backpack. That wasn't an oversight on my part; it was all planned. For those of you who normally travel with multiple bags containing shoes, jewelry, extravagant costume changes, and make-up, traveling with just one 35 liter backpack requires meticulous planning even before you put the first rolled pair of whatever in long before you leave home. And that planning, eye-balling, calculating and measuring never stops until you finally unpack for good and breathe a sigh of relief. When I bought the sweatshirt (a hooded one at that) I knew I'd end up wearing it on the plane home. I also knew that I'd use the tampons, toothpaste, latex gloves (that I wear for cold weather running), and a couple other disposable items and free up space. Because I won't have to carry those things back, the half zip that I wore on the way over will fit in the bag. That's the mathematics of traveling small, folks. And maybe a little old school Tetris.

I have to say it's been nice just having the one small bag. I was nervous at first. I mean you can only take so much - so many undergarments, pairs of socks and running shorts, and just one pair of shoes (besides the ones you're wearing). It's a delicate balance. Bring too much of the wrong stuff, you're screwed. Bring too little of the right stuff, also screwed. Knowing all this I made sure that I had two very important things working in my favor -

(1) My Air BnB in Dubrovnik has a washer. When I made my reservation months ago, I wasn't planning on traveling so small. I simply wanted clean laundry and I didn't want to Chinese laundry to get it (Like how I made that a verb? To Chinese laundry - to do laundry as if running a Chinese laundry. It's probably borderline inappropriate so I don't see it taking off with common usage). That washer has saved my butt this week. Yes, it's just a washer (Dryers apparently aren't a thing in Croatia) and I have to hang my clothes to dry on the clothes line on the porch.... BUT I have haven't run out of anything. I haven't had to buy souvenir underwear, like in Bergen last year (Come to think - I haven't seen any in Dubrovnik at all. Good thing for the washer), or wear my last pair of anything inside out.

(2) Nearly every item of clothing I brought, with the exception of my jeans, can do double-duty. Meaning I can wear them around town and then when they get a little 'worn', I can use them for running. After the run, they can dry out and be used for one more run if absolutely necessary (Luckily the washer has prevented that necessity). Shirts, half-zips, bras, and couple pairs of running tights have served me well in multiple capacities and created a lot less laundry. And because I didn't have to bring different outfits for different activities, I was able to maximize space in my backpack. Don't want to always look like you're headed out for a run? Be willing to either not run on vacation or carry a bigger bag. Given that I almost always look like I'm about to go for a run in real life, it isn't a hardship for me. At all.

I don't think I'll ever not travel this light, this small. I absolutely love my Cotopaxi Allpa35. It might only be thirty-five liters of space but the structure and features of the pack make it seem like I have a lot more space. All the nooks and crannies - extra easily accessible pockets and a laptop sleeve - are ideal. Fully loaded it's still light enough to heft into overhead bins and schlep on my back from hotel to train station and back again.

I thought it might turn out to be a bigger challenge than it's been. What I've discovered over the past two weeks is that what you don't bring, you don't need. Would it be nice to have a few other clothing options? Yeah, of course. Wearing essentially the same shirts and pullovers for more than two weeks gets tiresome. However, while you may want it, you really don't need it. Psst.... No one's watching or keeping score and you seldom see the same person twice anyway.

Same goes for souvenirs. I have seen a lot of things I might want to bring home for myself (mostly artwork) and others (anything and everything that isn't small enough), but do any of us really need it? I've learned to gauge need by what will fit in my bag. And truly the lack of space means that I save A LOT of money because I simply can't bring back something for everyone. My roommate (who takes care of my dog) and my rides to and from the airport get something. Period. And whatever it ends up being, it's small, super small. Same goes for what I buy for myself. My space splurge that I'm hoping I'll be able to leverage when all is said and done? A Croatia soccer jersey (Some people collect spoons. I collect soccer jerseys. Given my issues about space I should probably collect something else, something smaller and more easily packable, but I'll actually use a jersey back home. Why spend money pn something just to have it sit on a shelf and get dusty?)

I know the way I travel isn't for everyone, but as much as I move around and as much as I hate paying for transportation, one bag that I can sling onto my back just works. If I have skimp on clothing, wear the same things over and over, and do laundry (whether Chinese-style or in a washing machine), I'm totally willing if it makes getting around easier. Remember I'm traveling, not vacationing. I'm not hoping for a break from everything and a mass wardrobe to go with it. I go to see, not be seen. I go to be there, not bring it all home with me. So, if you think you might want to travel small like I do, check out the Cotopaxi Allpa35. I'll never travel without it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Biggest Fan

Be That Person

A Little Unsteady